Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Can I use stored diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:00 AM
blaustin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use stored diesel?

Hi, It's taken 15 years but I finally got the truck I wanted. I had a neighbor who bought a new 91 D250 cummins LE reg cab with automatic. I have never seen anyone take care of a vehicle like he did. It was washed at least once a week, waxed 4 times a year, and always stored in his garage when not being used. Every 3000 miles it was taken to the local Dodge dealer for a oil and filter change. When in the shop he always told them to do anything else the truck needed done. I always joked with him every time I saw him and said if you ever sell that truck let me have first grabs. Well, unfornately he passed away about 2 months ago and his wife called me and asked me if I still wanted to buy the truck.
Nowing the way he took care of it I told her sight unseen yes, I want the truck. She sold it to me for $2000. It has 62,000 original miles on it and still looks and runs like new.
As soon as I got it I took it back to the same Dodge dealer to have the Oil and filter changed. He said why? I know this truck! The oil was just changed 1100 miles ago. And he showed me all of the service work that had been done on it that was still in his computer. He said the only thing you need to do is drive it.

My question is: He installed a 50 gallon gravity auxillary tank in the bed. I know that fuel has been in there for at least 3 months in the hot Arizona weather. Would it be OK to top off the tank and use it or should I dump the fuel 1st.

I would really appreciate any replys. I don't want to hurt my new baby.

Thanks, Bob

Old 10-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Dodge This
Professional
Default RE: Can I use stored diesel?

I would say if the guy took care of it he most likely used a fuel stabailzer. I would think it would be fine. AZ is dry so I would think there would not be muck water in the fuel for anything to grow. That would be my only worry.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:57 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know as far as a metal tank, But I have had diesel in a plastic tank (no stabilizer) for as long as 8 mths with no problems. This was in my fuel tank for the tree farm, A big 250 gal. polytank.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:54 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw in some extra lubricant and a little cetane, and then top it off. Run the tanks dry. Change the fuel filter, filler up, prime, and make tracks......lol.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Congrats on the new wheel dude !!

That is one SWEET deal that you got there. Take care of it and it should out live you too !!

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Quick Reply: Can I use stored diesel?