Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New 2007 3500

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 PM
kingdog
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2007 3500

I had suggested before that I would be looking at a new 3500, well I have found an 07 "IN STOCK " that still has the 5.9, and the options that I want, only problem is that it is an auto 4 speed, I know nothing about the auto and I am a little reserved to get it as I now have a travel trailer ( Toy Hauler) that weighs in at 11,500lbs when loaded and a tounge weight of 1340lbs.

I will be getting the dually , and like and feel better with the 6 speed manual, but the auto is all I can find around.

Does any one know if the auto will just do the job OR will the auto be a non issue with this much weight.

I do plan on getting the FASS, and EZ tow chip ( I hear that these new ones already have a 5" exhaust if so, cool) maybe dual exhaust and the gauges.

Help me out PLEEEEASE..
Thanks in adavance for your in put

Ralph

Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New 2007 3500

the 48RE will do the job just fine, put an exhaust brake on her and it will do even better

yes, the 06's come from the factory with the programming needed so an exhaust brake will work on the auto's.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
kingdog
Professional

Drew
Thanks for the response, I went and test drove it last night, and all I can say is WOW, I am so glad that I did, it is sooooo quite compared to mine and the power to noise ratio is truly unreal, I have to admit I was shocked at how nice, power smooth it is compared to mine ( see sig) , I will be doing the deal.

Even though I fell mine has way more power, the 07 just outshines everywhere else. It is a sad doe for my 02 , but it is now for sale.

Low millage and loved big time only 50000 miles on it.

Hey Drew anything else I should look out for or doo on it ?

Thanks Ralph

Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Drew
Professional

put a TST or get a smarty downloader and your WOW will turn into a HOLY ****

the big things these 3rd gens have to watch out for are 1. the front ball joints tend to be soft and some have been replaced with less than 10K on the odo, 2. the u-joints are the same way since they are sealed units as well as the carrier bearing, and 3. injector failure is a bit higher then the old jerk style, but those are only here and there failures.

you will notice different sounds from the engine as opposed to your 2nd gen 24v. some metallic 'tapping' or a fast pitched rapping some times, but this is normal. the older engines did the same, but from the detonation of the fual it masked these noises.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM
kingdog
Professional

Drew
Thanks again, I do alot of my own work on them so we will see how the ball and U joints hold up as I will now keep a good eye on them.

I guess I wll be doing a search to get more info on the TST and or smartydownloader.
I was going to get , dual exhaust, EZ Tow box, new Pac brake for the auto, Tranny, Egt, boost and fuel pressure gauges, as well as an intake, and because I realy only tow with it and cool down timer.

Sounds like I should re-think the edge box based on what you have stated.

I also found that for the 17" tire. that Dodge called for not much air , considering that the tire ( generals, OUCH ) are 10 ply, 60 front and 65 rear. I wonder if that has to dowith thw 17" size or not ?
Thanks again
Ralph

Old 10-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Drew
Professional

Ive got my tires pumped to 60psi all around. I was noticing some weird wear patterns, that cleared it right up.

anyway, if you tow boost, EGT, trans temp and fuel pressure are the 4 I would stress in getting. this way when you do tow you can keep an eye on your trans temp. and fuel pressure mainly cause DC is still useing the dredded carter pump, but it is in the fuel tank instead of on the filter.

the TST box has a built in cool down timer, and will back off if EGT's get to high, and it also has a built in Boost limiter. the newer version of TST has 4 different programmings built in, standard, early twins, late twins, and economy. the economy setting is somethign you might realy look into useing when you tow and the standard programming for normal driveing. the twins program are for running either twins of big singles. the late twins goes to full fueling at 24psi boost. the early twins does full fueling at only 12psi. . .the early twins is extreemly smokey, but a fun setting when you want to make a point

Quick Reply: New 2007 3500