Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Best year cummins??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:05 PM
1965daytonacoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best year cummins??

I had originally planned on putting some time and money into my 98 5.9 1500 2wd.
After putting some serious consideration into the project though I'm thinking it may not be the most logical choice. I had an old bronco before this truck and I loved doing my usual outdoorsy deal with it.

I've been reading about these off-roaders who take trucks and just chop them up until they are pretty much just big street legal buggies. Well I don't think theres a much better light duty diesel than the Cummins. I worked in a truck shop for a while and the two favorite motors in the shop were cummins and detroit.
If I did a project like this I'd want to do it right. I was thinking of finding an older model, maybe even mid 90s, 2500 4x4 cummins that has been wrecked and just chopping it up.

I'm not very familiar with the cummins' used in dodges though so I was wondering if you guys could tell me which year is the best? As far as ease to maintain, power capabilities and the like.

Thanks guys,
MRFN Hartley

Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best year cummins??

1995-4x4 2500.

That's all you need....................

Old 10-12-2006, 02:02 AM
1965daytonacoupe

DieselDemon I must say your opinion is a bit biased but you clearly know what you are talking about.
Those are some very impressive numbers you're pulling. How much cash did it take to get to that point if you don't mind sharing??

Old 10-12-2006, 02:06 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Which cummins years you wondering about????, years with the 12 valves or the newer 24 valves.........???

Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

If you saw the outside body at the moment, you'd think I haven't invested anything.LOL.

I'd say right about the $18,000-20,000 mark. That includes a lot of "specialty" tools also. Plus stereo, doors, hood, and a ton of spare parts. I will never be a wash and wax guy. The body will be redone in the spring. Mechanically, I think it's one of the most sound vehicles on the road. I treat my truck better than I treat humans......lol.

But also, I am old, OLD school. I like the sec gen 12 valvers because it was my first Dodge, my first full size truck, AND most importantly, my first diesel. I'll die behind the wheel of this truck.

You can't understand how loyal I am to certain things. This truck is my baby. And she's pretty tough...LOL

The part that solidifies my love for my 95' is that all my upgrades are mechanical. With all due respect, I laugh at these guys with their chips, and scanners, and programmers. It's like F'n Star Trek......lol. I realize they don't have many choices. I've left plenty of skin and blood under that hood. I feed off the fact that I did it all. Except the tranny........ I know my limits. Maybe someday I will get one at a junk yard and open it up to satisfy my curiousity.

Yeah, I'm partial to my style Ram. If you drove my truck, you'd make an offer on the spot..........LOL. Watching the gauges and knowing HOW to run the truck is another thrill. I truly believe that I have my setup tuned to the point of almost true perfection. I am trying my hardest to find someone with a movie camera so I can take some footage. I have a set of tires that I want to churn till they burst.

Get a 95'. You won't regret it.

Chow.....

Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Drew
Professional

best years. . .94-98.4 and 03-07. the 98.5-02's have a problem with the VP44 injector pump. if you want fully mechanical the 94-98.4 12 valves are good engines(probably the best out of the group), but if you like tweaking electronics the 03-07 24 valves are good ones as well.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

If you saw the outside body at the moment, you'd think I haven't invested anything.LOL.
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

I don't know about anyone else, but I am dieing to see some pics of your truck !!

Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

I have to say 04.5 is the best year for a complete truck... common rail motor, lots of torque, easy to mod (so far anyway) and if you have the controller for it, you still have the option of locking out OD. the '05's dont have that option and it sucks... plus the newer motors are setup for the ULSD which is already hear.

Quick Reply: Best year cummins??