Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New guy question on aero turbine

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 PM
cracker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy question on aero turbine

Hi all. New to diesel engines but not at all new to mechanics. I work in aviation mx on large turbine aircraft. Recently got me a 06' 2500 ctd, quad cab, 2wd. No big mods yet, just a drop in filter and torque tube. Like the wine!! Anyway, my question is after reading all the posts on exhaust choices and ideas kinda going back and forth on wether to go ditch the cat/ resonator/whatever it is and go with a aero 4040xl or keep the cat and go with a 4040 ( no resonator). Am i correct that if I keep the cat I should not need a resonator built into the muffler?? Has anyone tried this setup yet?? Looks like either way the price at Verocious with the tip is pretty fair. Anyway any info would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
mjh1019
Default RE: New guy question on aero turbine

I just recently installed the 4040xl w/ the cat on and it sounds pretty good. I was skeptical at first because of the cab noise but I am getting used to it. I have notice a drop in low end power. I have also noticed a possible drop in mpg but i have not run a full tank yet.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:37 PM
usafr
All Star

Ive had the 4040xl for a few months now. I went from stock to a chep free flow to the aero,, and thus far, I like the aero. I just had the cat removed, and it did get a little louder, but so far, I like the extra noise. If you're gonna go with the aero, and you plan to ditch the cat, then the best place to mount the aero is in place of the cat. Then ditch the stock muffler and put in some straight pipe in its place. In the end though there are alot of combinations, it depends alot on how much noise you want. Any alteration to the exhaust is gonna produe more sound. I also have the Bully Dog programmer with the low end setting enabled, and this makes alot of difference. I did notice a little drop in lowend power when I lost the cat, and this is due to a drop in back pressure.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I went with the resonated Aero. I was planning on keeping my stock resonator and putting the Aero after it, but after actually seeing the old resonator, I decided to ditch the whole thing. I simply have a straight pipe comming from the turbo back to the Aero and out through the tailpipe. To me, it sounds awesome! I didn't jump up in size at all. I have 3.5" comming out of the turbo, so I went with the 3.5" Aero. Now I mounted it all the way back where the stock muffler was and to me it sounds fine. The placement of the Aero .... I dunno ... these guy's know more than I do so I guess it makes a difference.

For ME, I noticed a HUGE difference all the way around. I had 16" rims with 245 75 tires on them, and then I switched up to 17"ims with 265 70's. When I did that, the truck ran like a dog all the way around. I was seriously bummed. After installling the Aero, my truck once again fly's !!

Win Win all around for me !!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

With all of the up talk about the Areo I'm starting to think that Mayfair owns a lot of stock in the company that makes the Areo [sm=drooldude.gif] why else would he do such [sm=escape.gif]

Old 10-17-2006, 05:54 PM
usafr
All Star

its a conspiracy

Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

With all of the up talk about the Areo I'm starting to think that Mayfair owns a lot of stock in the company that makes the Areo [sm=drooldude.gif] why else would he do such [sm=escape.gif]
LOL ... Naah, I wish. If I use something that I really like, then I want everyone to know it since there is so much junk out there. On the other hand, if I use something that I DON'T like, then I have a tendency to scream just as loud. I don't want anyone to get screwed.

It would be nice if Verocious would give me a kickback though. How about this .... If you DO wind up ordering from them, tell em Mayfair sent ya. After they get a few orders I'll introduce myself to them and ask for / DEMAND my kickback.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:59 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Mayfair,

I was just picking on ya. I understand on letting people know of a good product. But I do like the idea of getting kickbacks [sm=bling.gif] Now I will have to think of a way to do it to some one [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Mayfair,

I do like the idea of getting kickbacks

Old 10-17-2006, 10:00 PM
usafr
All Star