Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My dealer surprised me today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:04 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dealer surprised me today!

Well the 2-page letter I wrote Friday did some good. Guess the owner took my letter very seriously. I got to spend just over and hour in person with the SM and got several things straightened out. Also got my day light running lights set up along with the accessory to say on for 10 minutes after key is turned off & removed. They even installed my oil and filter for Free. I wanted the heavy 15w40 out of it for the winter. I don’t like to hear the lifters slapping for several minutes on first start up when it has been in the low 20’s over night. They also gave me a 20 some point inspection and vacuumed my truck. The vacuum part was a surprise when I opened the door to come home.

It’s the first time I've had a dealer even care about what a customer had to say. I got some good info on DC, that they now have a team working on the computers to see what we all do to them and how to detect the use of a box or programmer. While there I saw a poor chap who would not own up to using a programmer, it downloaded his friends VIN # and 2005 code to his computer and screwed up stuff.

DC would of paid for it but he keep telling them he had not used one. They told him if he did and admit to and promise to not do so again they would fix his truck under warranty for Free. That was all DC wanted for the guy and he still said no way. I sure would not want to pay for all them parts it screwed up because I was not smart enough to do as they asked. The reason I know some of this is I was in the area to over hear part of the phone call from the regional guy for DC and then asked Q’s when it was my turn to talk to the SM.

Oh as far as By Pass oil filters and EGT/ Pyrometer being installed DC backed off it will 100% void the warranty but said they would have to look at it on a case by case bases. SM was not too happy with that answer. To make this short he told me if Cummins will install it he has no problems with it being on the truck. In fact he had never hear of a ETG/Pyrometer until my letter. One other thing on the by pass set up he said to make sure it did not affect the oil presser in any way and that it was the correct one to fit the truck. They had one a few months back that was not set up correctly or the wrong one and it fired the turbo. It cost the guy over $1500.00

So I guess it does pay to Squeak once in a while.

Charles

Old 10-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My dealer surprised me today!

interesting. . .I guess it does pay to become ones own warranty station

and to the guy that would not own up to the programmer. . .what a butt pirate. they told him they would fix it under warranty, if that was me I'd say yup, I did. take the hand slap and go about my buisness. some dealerships wont go that far. it sounds like you got a good one there.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

So I guess it does pay to Squeak once in a while.

Charles
I think you made out OK because you actually have a half decent head on your shoulders and because nothing you did to your truck was actually harming it at all. Basically, you had a leg to stand on. Had you been the other guy with the programmer and denying it to the very end, I think your happy ending would have been much different.

Bottom line ... it pays to be cool and also to keep your cool. If you treat people the way you want to be treated things generaly have a way of working themselves out. If you run into and ******* along the way, 9 out of 10 times someone higher up then them already knows he is a tool and will hook you upif your cool.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Yes I was nice in my letter to them, GF was even surprised that I had been. Most of the time I just yell but this time I was kind and wrote the letter. Even the owner though it was a well thought out letter and showed I took my time to write it. I did have to edit out a few words before I sent it off. Kind of made my day to chew someone out and they say thanks for doing it nicely!

I forgot to add that they hate after market air fiters and systems. He showed me a air filter that fell apart, don't remember if it was fram or who for sure. The wire mesh was thin and cheap and clogged up the air tube. He said thay have been seeing the a lot of the oil type filters ( K&N type, they did not use there name I did) letting through a lot of dirt and sand, we all know the problems it can cause.

Anyway you all have a nice evening.

C.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

99% of the time when you take time to write it instead of spur of the moment chatter, you get much better results. it gives you time to think things thru and make sure your point is well said and clear to understand.

Congrats on the positive encounter with the dealer. I am however on Drews side... let me fix it!

Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

He said thay have been seeing the a lot of the oil type filters ( K&N type, they did not use there name I did) letting through a lot of dirt and sand, we all know the problems it can cause.
I'm beginning to wonder about that myself. After pulling my silencer ring and seeing just how dirty the fins on the turbo looked it really IS starting to make me wonder if the K&N filter is really doing it's job.

Here's my turbo with the ring removed. You tell me ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/392E61D76EE94CD9B8FE0EAB13EF7B6E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 PM
usafr
All Star

Mayfair, I'm with you on that one. Pretty soon I'm gonna go on a quest to find a filter something like what Drew has, and xnay the K&N,, gonna keep the tube though. I had K&N on my last gasser and didn't worry about it, but the idea of something making it through the filter and hitting the turbo just makes me cringe.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

It's not me then ... my turbo DOES look dirty right ??

Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take your finger to one of the fins and lightly touch it, if you have some gunk on your finger that K&N isnt doing it's job. I havent pulled my filter off in a long time. I might just do so one of these days and take a pic.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Mayfair
Legend

That's a good idea. I'll try that when I get to Florida since I'm sure I'll have some extra time at the track.

Thanks for the idea.

I AM curious as to how your filter is working out. If you get a chance, yeah, take a pic.

Quick Reply: My dealer surprised me today!