Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

bullydog

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
stewtina
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bullydog

I keep reading and hearing about how dealers won't warranty your vehicle if it has a programmer onit. Well here in the panhandle of Texas we have a dealer selling a tricked out truck lifted bigger tires and a bully dog programmer. If someone buys the truck and something goes wrong are they going to fix it or will they be sol. Knowing this dealer they will be sol.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bullydog

from what it sounds the truck is used, probably out of warranty, and shows on the window sticker the absence of a warranty.

dealerships vary from town to town. some will sell you the programmer and tell you they will warranty only two repairs, some will void your warranty if they see a K&N filter instead of the stocker.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I think the K&N voided whole warranty thing is a myth, have you talked with anyone who has had this happen? when I talked to a local dealer service rep he said dealers cant do that, however they can deny a warranty claim based on the presence of performance parts or modifications that directly affected the failure. That makes sense to me. And like you Drew, I prefer to be my own service station (when time is available).

Old 10-25-2006, 02:31 PM
usafr
All Star

I'm with Steve. Just having the K&N wouldn't make your warranty void, however, if something was sucked through the filter and destroyed the turbo, then of course, your screwed. If they know that you have or had a programmer, now thats a different story. I'm sure they have ways to tell, if they really want to plug into the ECM and go hacking, but from what I've heard, if u don't admit it, they usually drop it. Just don't do anything silly, like sticking those groovy little Bull Dog emblems that come with the programmer onto your truck, (like I did at first ).

Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
2004dodgehemi

How do you explain to with most of those kits you have to drill into pipes and manifolds for temps etc..? Well mr dealer i just wanted to drill see what was in there??

I love it you do the mods get massive amounts o HP and wonder why the tranny failed etc.... That is my fear of doing anything to my truck till it is out of warranty

Old 10-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just useing the K&N as an analogy as to how some dealerships are.

when I had my drip edge seal replaced the SM actualy commented on how he liked the look of the boost/egt gage in the grab handle.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I'd tell him i'm towing and I want my motor to last as long as it can, with the egt probe & guage it allows me to keep an eye on it while on the steep grades, that also goes for the tranny guage. the boost, well, it came with the kit lol.

I didnt have to explain anything added to my truck when it was in the dealer shop last... I did not have a box on but the ATS, AFE & Magnaflow were there while the kitty was missing. they never said a word.

I think if your smart about how you upgrade and how you use your upgrades (not to fry the tranny) you'll be fine. since the VB install my tranny hasnt slipped once (which is what i expected), now i stay within the new limits set upon me with the new setup. If I break it because of my abuse, I wouldnt expect DC to pay for it.

Quick Reply: bullydog