Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DEEP DEEP Trans pan ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEEP DEEP Trans pan ...

OK, you guy's have once again scared the be-jesus outta me obout my trans and potential failure so I was poking around at Geno's site and I saw these. Are they REALLY worth it? I'll spend the cash if it's really worth it, but I don't want to waste $300.00.

Lemme know ...

Item Number : MH-727DD-9803

Unit Price: $270.00

Detailed Description
The "Double Deep" pan has all the same features as the Deep Pan: magnetic drain plug, predrilled 1/8 NPT fitting for a temperature sensor, transmission gasket, and mounting hardware. In addition, with the Double Deep pan, the inside depth of the pan is increased from 3" to 5.25", which adds (up to) another four quarts of fluid capacity to the system. The kit includes spacer hardware to relocate the transmission filter deep into the sump. For those concerned with the pan being too obtrusive, the Double Deep pan is still tucked 1/2" above the truck’s center cross-member of the frame. Fits your stock 727, 518, 47RH or 48RE automatic transmission. Geno’s Garage includes a Mopar transmission replacement filter with your purchase as well.

Mag-Hytec - '98-'06 Double Deep Transmission Pan Kit

Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: DEEP DEEP Trans pan ...

Mayfair,

IMHO just use a good Syn AFT+4 fluid like Amsoil and you should be OK. Now if you were to tow a lot then maybe it would be worth the $300.00 to buy a new trans pan.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:32 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

I have the mag hytech (from DieselNutMotorsports.com)... added an extra 4 qts of fluid, worth it IMO...

Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 PM
49lambert
Rookie

I just put one on my 2006 CTD. The pan is great. First of all it is much easier to drain the ATF now because there is a drain plug. No more taking a bath in transfluid. Second the pan is much sturdier than the stock. I dont have a trans temp gauge so i cant give you an honest answer if temp dropped at all but having extra fluid cant hurt.

It was very easy to install. Just make sure you have torx head screw drivers to install the new filter and spacer block.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

I had mine installed during a tranny servicing. at no charge. I also had the VB installed at the time I needed servicing, so i combined the 2.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABSOLUTELY buy that pan. Any amount of fluid capacity you add will benefit in many ways.

Fluid life, to certain extent.

Tranny temps. If your tranny has a good cooling system, a deep pan will make it run cooler under normal driving. If you run your tranny hot while towing, a deeper pan makes it take a little longer to get to those high temps (buys time.....lol).

What most guys like is that it allows you to climb a little longer before you have to back off, or make a gear change, when towing.

You DO change a greater amount of fluid when it's PM time. The more at one time, the better in my book!....lol.

It only makes sense. Go for it. Get the "Ten Gallon Hat" model.....LOL.

And what's the breakdown on that Camaro I saw in another thread?

Ok dude, catch ya later.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
sharx ram
Champion

That is the same pan I bought 2 weeks ago, it is well worth the money, my trans has not gone over 160 degrees yet here in Az!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:05 PM
derherr65

There's only one problem... a temp sensor in the pan does not see the hottest fluid temperature. I've always put my sensor in the transmission output line, AKA the line to the cooler. A sensor in the output line garantees that there is no chance of overheating your transmission or burning the fluid. It is possible for a pan sensor to read an acceptable temperature while the fluid bakes in the converter.

You can get the put-in-a-drain-plug kit for $10. Just drill a 5/8" hole(if I remember right) in the pan and bolt it on.

An old hot rodders trick for adding more capacity is to take a second stock pan, cut the bottom out of yours, cut the top off of #2, and weld them together. With a pickup extension you now have roughly double capacity. That requires steel pans, straight sides, and no crossmember in the way though.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:29 AM
jakebrake
Champion

300 is pennys compared to a new trans Spoken from the genious who toasted one already[:@]

Old 11-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

That is the same pan I bought 2 weeks ago, it is well worth the money, my trans has not gone over 160 degrees yet here in Az!
Did you get it from Geno's sharx?

Sorry to hear about your loss jake ...

COOL hot rodders trick der, but I aint gonna be hot rodding my Ram. Cool tip though !!

Quick Reply: DEEP DEEP Trans pan ...