Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injector Leaks - Potential...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:54 AM
ramtradxb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Leaks - Potential...?

Guys, although this isn't about the ISB in our Dodges, I figured there's some of you who know the other Cummins products - or diesel functions in general - and maybe could ease my mind...
I was all set to take delivery on my new motorhome with a Cummins ISL 400, when they called to tell me they discovered a fuel leak that they could see was coming from an injector. They're taking it to Cummins to have it repaired, but I'm wondering if I need to worry about any long-term effects on the cylinder that had the leaky injector, as it was driven about 2000 mles from the factory to the dealer that way. I'm going to call Cummins and see what they say, but hopefully some of you in-the-know can tell me what you know about this...

Old 11-03-2006, 02:19 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Injector Leaks - Potential...?

It's possable that the injector may not of been bad for the whole 2000 miles. If you can find out if they found fuel in the oil and if so how much. If you can talk to the man who did the work on it to get any and all info you can from him. I have heard from some that said they had no problems after this happened to there engine. But being you have no way to know for sure how many miles it was leaking or how much fuel was in the oil see if you can get some type of extened warranty on it.

Good Luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
ramtradxb
Professional
Default RE: Injector Leaks - Potential...?

DBLR - thanks for the reply. I guess my lack of knowledge about how diesels function is going to show now - when the MH dealer told me they found a fuel leak and got under/in there and saw it coming from an injector, I didn't know that this also indicated they aren't too versed in diesel technology. Cummins tells me (and it makes sense to me now) that if you see fuel on or about the engine, that can't be a leaky injector because if an injector leaks it's inside the engine, not on the outside - your concern about fuel in oil supports this, because if an injector was leaking that would indeed be the problem. But the people who saw a leak and thought it was coming from an injector didn't see inside the engine - so it's got to be something else such as a fuel line. Which eases my mind considerably. Thanks for the reply - you got me thinking that regardless of what this fuel leak is, getting an extended warranty from Cummins is a good investment - I don't want to be 150,000 miles down the road and have some major failure from something like an injector leak and not be covered!

Quick Reply: Injector Leaks - Potential...?