Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Home Brewed Bio Diesel Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006 | 08:17 AM
RamHappy
Default RE: Home Brewed Bio Diesel Anyone?

Mayfair,
Heres a site that gives you alot of info about Bio. I make about 150 gallons of per batch.
I started out making 30 gallon batchs with a electric water. It becomes a hassle when demand went up I was making a batch every 3 to 4 days. I went and cut a 500 gallon LP tank up and made a enclosed processor with one half and used the other side for a wash/dry tank. A batch start to finish takes about a day. As far as performance theres not much of a change. Your truck won't be as loud
with bio it has more lubrication. As far as building cost it depends on how fancy of setup you want .
The lp tank cost me about 100.00 bucks welding legs,bungs and the lid cost a few bucks. The biggest
cost will be the pump and valves. I wouldn't skimp on a pump I bought a Red Lion 1/2 horse pump best damn investment I ever made. I have about 20 Vavles 3/4" they run about $7.00 a piece
Hope this helps
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

Old 11-08-2006 | 01:57 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

wow. I would love to make my own diesel.

Old 11-08-2006 | 01:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yeah it would be sweet wouldnt it?

one question I have is what do you do with the waste?

Old 11-08-2006 | 02:30 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

yeah it would be sweet wouldnt it?

one question I have is what do you do with the waste?
Neighboors backyard.

Man, I want a CTD.

Old 11-08-2006 | 09:01 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

There is a place in Houston that sales Biodiesel. They will sell B100, convience stores are only allowed to sell B20 because of goverment regulated Nox emmisions. I get the B100 and mix it with petroleum diesel to get a B75 blend. It gets better mpg than B100 because B100 is almost to much of a lubricant on the engine. There is no modifications needed, and as long as you properly make the biodiesel, or purchase it from a trusted source, than the fuel filters arent a biggie. On thing is that pure biodiesel will eat away at your fuel lines, very slow process, but in time it will. It all depends on the mixture of biodiesel you are using. Hey dodgerules86, if i am not mistaking there is a biodiesel conversion kit that you are able to install in your gasser that will allow you to burn biodiesel in your gasser. I want to say that they were running people a total of $2500. They do take up a large amount of room in your bed.

Old 11-09-2006 | 01:43 PM
RamHappy

You really don't have to worry about hoses melting only if you have a really old truck with Natural rubber hoses. Generally anything 1992 on up shouldn't be a problem. As far a kit to convert gasser to Bio diesel never heard of it. You can convert your diesel to run straight veggie oil (WVO) for around 2500 bucks. That has it own Issues...... As far running Bio all you have to do is pour it in you tank
and go!!! Steve you are correct when you first start running Bio and you have a older truck you may want to carry and extra set of filters because bio is like a solvent and will clean all your crap out your tanks and fuel lines. As far as waste I have a buddy that has a farm and likes to burn the soap in his fire pit.

Old 11-09-2006 | 02:26 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Damn this stuff is pretty cool !!!

I think ( I know ) I'd like to see it done before investing anything into trying it. Yeah, I'm a scare-d-cat. LOL !!

Whadda ya think the street value of this stuff is? Do you think there is a market for it? It would be pretty cool to refine at my house for a living. LOL !!

Since we all don't have friends who'll burn the waste ( whatever that is ), what IS the proper way to get rid of it?

Old 01-31-2007 | 12:46 AM
dfdtruckie

I spoke to a Ram dealer and he told me that if I would run bio or Veggie blendin my rig, it would void the warranty. Anyone verify that?

Old 01-31-2007 | 01:33 AM
aka_chewy
All Star

Mayfair
I checked out the link you provided and it looks like it's some sort of forum just like here. Before I wander over there and start asking stupid questions, is there a site that you'd recomend that shows you step by step what is involved in making bio? I'm sure there are a million of em, but what site do YOU recomend? 58 cents a gallon just can't be ignored.
There was a decent write up in the latest Diesel Power Magazine that showed the unit you can buy and a bunch of other info. It was a really good read. IIRC, the whole unit was $1200 and they were getting their oil from resturants for free. Normally the resturants have to pay for it to be picked up. I will try to find the article tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2007 | 01:41 AM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

We ran one of our diesel fork lifts on straight veggie oil at our shop...... you know a few beers and just a little bored. but anyway the thing ran great we burned through that then went back to diesel never had a problem and we did no modifications. But it did smell like a hot chines wok.

Any one up for chines

Quick Reply: Home Brewed Bio Diesel Anyone?