Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

WILL NOT START ANYMORE

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:58 PM
IMCUMMIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WILL NOT START ANYMORE

HEY EVERYONE, IM PRETTY NEW TO THE CTD BUT I GOT MYSELF A '99 2500 W/ 157K ON IT FOR $10,000 ABOUT A MONTH AGO SO I COULDN'T LET IT GO. HE SAID THE LIFT PUMP WAS ALREADY REPLACED AND I JUST REPLACED THE CRANK SENSOR WHEN I BOUGHT IT B/C IT DIDN'T START. ANYWAY, COMING HOME FROM WORK IT STARTED BOGGING OUT FOR A COUPLE SECONDS AND THEN SHUT OFF LIKE IT HAD NO FUEL. I WAS READING 1/8 TANK BUT I THOUGHT MAYBE IT HAS A MESSED UP SENDING UNIT. PUT 5 GALLONS OF FUEL IN AND A NEW FUEL FILTER. BUMPED THE STARTER LET IT PUMP. BUMPED IT AGAIN AND LET IT PUMP. DID THAT ABOUT 10 TIMES AND STILL WONT START. IT WHINES FOR ABOUT 20-25 SECONDS AFTER I CRANK IT SO IM STUMPED. BAD INJECTION PUMP? AIR STILL IN THE LINES? I ASSUME FUEL FILTER HOUSING IS FILLING UP BC I DRAINED IT WHEN I DID THE FILTER AND NOW I CRACKED THE VALVE AGAIN AFTER BUMPING IT ALL THOSE TIMES AND FUEL CAME OUT SO...YEA. ANY IDEAS?

Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 PM
duneschick
Professional
Default RE: WILL NOT START ANYMORE

I am not saying this will fix your problem. But I was at a gas station and went to jump out and my truck shut down, I thought my friend shut it off. I was at 1/8 of a tank so I thought I was fine. Went to try and start it- no go. Had it towed home, boyfriend put fuel in and still would not start. Primed and Primed and Primed- no go. So he cracked the injectors so fuel would come through. Still no go. So he ethered it up and away she fired. Ran it out of gas and cranked so much the injectors wouldn't pump is what I did. You are not supposed to use ether on diesels as it can damage alot of components. But I did not let it crank for a long time. Just a split second and didn't rev it up after. I hope thats all is wrong with yours. I'm dreading the VP44 going out on me. Also if it has the new fuel system in it they say you lose 5 gallon capacity with the 2005 fuel system they convert into the older trucks. Stupid!!! Yes it is. Hope someone has some valuable info for ya. Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/31532/5994C49A4B194251B97D42BBD042CE9A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2006, 01:50 PM
tbuster1002

you may have air in the lines and a clogged fuel filter. loosen the lines and make sure fuel is coming through.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM
IMCUMMIN

WELL I GOT GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS. GOOD NEWS IS THAT I FOUND THE PROBLEM. CRACKED THE INJECTORS AND NOTHING CRACKED FEED LINE GOING INTO THE PUMP AND GOT PRESSURE. CRACKED THE LINE COMING OUT OF THE PUMP AND NOTHING BUT I DRIP HERE AND THERE...NO PRESSURE. OK SO OBVIOUSLY THE BAD NEWS THAT I'VE COME TO TERMS WITH AFTER LOTS OF SWARING AND I HAVE ACCEPTED IS THAT IT'S THE VP44. ALREADY ORDERED ONE UP. SHORTLY AFTER IM GETTING RID OF THE LIFT PUMP AND PUTTING A WALBRO IN ITS SPOT TO MAKE SURE THE INJECTION PUMP DOESNT STARVE. THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Dude are you serious ??

That SUCKS !!!!

I'm REALLY starting to get nervous about my lift pump now !!

How much is the new VP44?
Is it something that you are able to install yourself?

Old 11-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Hammerdown

this sounds like the same problem I have. I ran a diagnostic test and it came up with P1689 code? Is the VP44 a fuel injection pump?

Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Hammerdown

Is the VP44 a fuel injection pump?
I think so, but I'm not sure. Someone else here with more knowledge that I have will easily be able to answer that for ya though.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Vp44 is the injection pump.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:42 AM
IMCUMMIN

YEA ITS THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP. IM GONNA BE DOING IT MYSELF OUTSIDE IN MY STREET BC MY CAR OCCUPIES MY GARAGE RIGHT NOW. WORST PART IS THAT THE TRUCK IS MY EVERYDAY DRIVER TO WORK SO IM S.O.L. NEXT WEEK ON GETTING TO WORK UNLESS I FIND SOMETHING TO GET ME THERE. THATS THE PROBLEM WITH HAVING TO MANY PROJECTS. I GOT THIS TRUCK, MY 300ZX, AND A GO KART THAT WE HAVE A YAMAHA XS650 MOTOR ON. THE KART IS ALMOST DONE. WE GOTTA WELD THE MOUNTS ON AND GET A NEW SPROCKET AND IT SHOULD RUN LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL. THE 300ZX IS NO WHERE NEAR DONE. I SHOULD BE DONE BUILDING THE MOTOR IN SPRING BUT WHO KNOWS WHEN IT WILL BE TUNED AND READY TO RUN ON THE STREET/STRIP. AND THE TRUCK IS MY EVERYDAY THAT I WANNA PLAY WITH AND HAVE IT BE A SMOKE POURING 13 OR 14 SECOND DAILY DRIVER. SO I'LL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED ON THE INJECTION PUMP INSTALL. FYI IF YOU EVER DO AN INJECTION PUMP YOU MIGHT WANNA CHANGE YOUR CAM SENSOR TOO, LIKE I AM, SINCE IT IS RIGHT THERE AND IT SAVES YOU HASSLE DOWN THE ROAD.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Mayfair
Legend

That sucks, but if you could, take some pics of the proces step by step. It would be really helpful for others who have to change their VP44 in the future. We could post it in the DIY section.

Good luck !!

Quick Reply: WILL NOT START ANYMORE