Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Good upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 AM
bobs96dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good upgrades

Hey, I just got my first dodge diesel it's a '96 12v turbo diesel and all that has been done is it has a scotty 2 airbox and 4" stanless steel pipe. I was just getting on to ask what some good upgrades are that would give me some better preformance.
thanks

Old 11-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good upgrades

well. . .the good news is you dont have to spend any money if your good with a grinder. the 4 inch exhaust already gave you the best bang for the buck, however to up the power you can remove the 8mm allen head screw on the injector pump, then turn the star wheel forward some, this will give you more fueling. then you can pull the fueling plate cover off and slide the fueling plate itself more forward to give you some more fueling advance. now here comes the money. head here to TST products 12 vlave page the most you will have to spend to get good power would be around $300 with the videos how-to's. you can get an AFC spring adjustment kit to give more fueling, a govenor spring kit to give you more RPM's and a fueling plate to determin your fueling as to how far you have the throttle pressed. you dont have to get one, you can always grind the stock one down, however it is easier to just get a new one so you can revert back to stock. also look around and see if you can find a boost fooler elbow so you can make a bit more boost from the turbo to make more power.

one thing you do need to do is make sure the dowel pin has been tapped. if not it will fall out and crack the front cover of the engine. . .costly repair right there.

if you havent looked at them yet I would suggest you looking into getting a boost and egt gage at a minimum. if you have an auto tranny a trans temp gage would also be another gage to get.

the older 12 valve P pumped engines are the longest lasting and probably the strongest Cummins out there.

Quick Reply: Good upgrades