Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

opinions on this product >>>

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:32 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on this product >>>

I'd like to get some input on the pictured thermal wraps. I'm not affiliated with them at all, just wanted to see what some of the more knowledgeable think.

The company has been in the thermal technology business for 30 years. Mostly for commercial and industrial. The pictures are the owners truck which he take a lot of pride in! Advanced Thermal Products

the wraps are said to keep the ambient heat localized and out the exhaust, improved efficiency and reduce dB's in the cab.

The thing is, these wraps for our truck are a very small parts of what this company does. After talking with the owner for a while it seems they got put on the back burner and without interest, may not be produced. It's something the owner got into for us enthusiast a while back without a big interest in big productions. If there's enough interest though....

Old 11-18-2006, 04:28 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: opinions on this product >>>

the hood one looks good... the other stuff however I think is not a good idea. you want that heat to come off the motor and the exhaust manifolds... the intake however, the cooler the better. I have toy'd with the idea of insulating my ATS but I dont think it's getting heat soaked from the motor so I have left it alone for now.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:50 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

The one for the hood looks alright & I like the dodge logo on it so it would be nice if one could buy it. But the rest looks like it's a waste of time and money. Like Steve said we want things to cool down not keep the heat in the engine.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:17 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DBLR

the hood one looks good... the other stuff however I think is not a good idea. you want that heat to come off the motor and the exhaust manifolds... the intake however, the cooler the better. I have toy'd with the idea of insulating my ATS but I dont think it's getting heat soaked from the motor so I have left it alone for now.
I thought the same thing but, after talking to the owner and designer, he said a lot that made sense.
Yes, we want to get rid of the heat and not keep it in but, what he claims his wraps do is to direct all the heat out the exhaust
like it should be.

There's a lot of ambient temps floating around the engine compartment. With these wraps all the heat is kept where it should be and not
making other components hot in the engine. The valve cover he said was more to cut down the dB's from valve clatter. He said it helped
a lot but, you can get rid of it all. He did use a dB meter.

The other problem is cost. The hood blanket is hand sown which takes a while to do and the material is very high end.... ( around $350.00 ). The hood blanket is also solely cosmetic with no sound or insulating factors. I haven't heard back about the cost of everything else but, it's likely not cheap either. It's the same product used by several stock car racers with big name in the field. He also has a contact with the Coast Guard to do all their insulating. Cost isn't a problem with them so, it's easier for him to make the sales.

I think he'd like to make sales with us too but with material and labor costs, it's hard to make the sell.

I appreciate the feedback though.... it's probably not the best way to spend that kind of money. Maybe more for the Ram head that has everything ;-)

Quick Reply: opinions on this product >>>