Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Sparks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006 | 11:29 AM
BigZell
Default Sparks?

A buddy of mine was driving in front of me the other day and hes got a 06 3/4' ton Cummings and hes got the Edge with Attitude programmer he had it set on lv 5 and floored it sparks came out from under his truck about midway up and hit the ground it was dark so it was real easy for me to see them he wanted me to ask you guys if anyone knew why it would do that or what it could be?

Old 11-29-2006 | 05:13 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Sparks?

Wonder if it could be soot that caught fire from all of the unburned fuel in the exhaust system being he had the Edge on level 5. But what do I know so may be someone else will have a better answer for you.

Old 11-29-2006 | 06:34 PM
BigZell

Sounds possible thanks for your opinion

Old 11-29-2006 | 11:49 PM
Splicer

Does your friend have a manual transmission? I saw where someone posted a link to a video of a truck at a truck pull and some sparks were coming from underneath the truck as it started out. A few posts later someone ask what the sparks were from and the reply was that they were from the clutch.

Old 11-30-2006 | 12:58 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Check trans mounts and see if anything could shift and rub against anything. If it were soot it would come out the exhaust.

Old 12-01-2006 | 04:05 AM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: BigZell

A buddy of mine was driving in front of me the other day and hes got a 06 3/4' ton Cummings and hes got the Edge with Attitude programmer he had it set on lv 5 and floored it sparks came out from under his truck about midway up and hit the ground it was dark so it was real easy for me to see them he wanted me to ask you guys if anyone knew why it would do that or what it could be?
Right after I got my truck, on the first time towing my Dirt Car up the Grapevine on the way to Parris Speedway, a gal came up and flagged me over and said I was throwing sparks and smoke from my right rear tire. I pulled over after I got to the top and checked, the RR wheel was cool, no sign of leaks so figured it was just burning out the soot that collected. The exhaust outlet is just in back of the RR duals. I make it a point to really lean on it going up hill at least once a week to keep everything cleaned out. The truck seems to run better after I do that. I have never had anyone notice anything when going up hill ahead of them after that one time.

Ralph

Quick Reply: Sparks?