Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Chips and programs part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:12 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chips and programs part 2

Steve thanks for the responce but i guess what i want to know if i install it than unistall it will there be any way that the dealer can see i had a chip/programmer in? also wasn't sure which one has the ability to be uninstalled so there are no codes , so the dealer wont see it.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
dtb86001
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chips and programs part 2

i just bought my truck at a dealer here in arizona. they have an aftermarket department that will sell you upgrades. when i talked to the manager of that department he said that Dodge is constatnly going over all of thier work orders to see if they installed aftermarket performance chips. the way he gets around the warrenty issue is by wording the work orders as customer requested maintenance instead of listing the parts. he did tell me that on my 06 if i were to install an Edge for instance that dodge has codes that will show up in the ECM when perameteres are exceeded. for instance if the common rail pressure went above normal perameters then it stores a code. they know how the preformance programmers work, and if certin peramiters are out of stock spec. then they will determin that more than likely you have a programmer and will not warrenty the engin.

On the other side of the coin the aftermarket manager did say the the cummins engin can handle alot more HP and Torque that what there set up for. And he doesnt have a problem selling after market programes so long as you understand that. He told me to install exhaust systems and intake systems as those wont void the warrenty

Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Chips and programs part 2

ok, last time I checked... I havent heard of any warranty being voided on an engine. 1st off the motor has to be dead or in serious health for there to be an issue. the boxes that get put between the motor & pcm do not write anything to the pcm, it just provides the data it needs to run the motor thru the box. (sensors that it attaches to).

if your worried about a warranty being voided, then dont put a box or programmer on it. make your life simple... do the mods that wont cause you to loose sleep at night.

Quick Reply: Chips and programs part 2