Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First fill up with the Brew ..... NOT GOOD

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006 | 01:33 AM
hiredgun
Rookie
Default RE: First fill up with the Brew ..... NOT GOOD

I get 16 mpg with or without the brew highway or city the only time i noticed any diff waswhen I put my drop in K&N in and it helped about 1/2 mpg... I got an auto and 35 in tires

Old 12-02-2006 | 03:16 PM
jagj52
Rookie

Mayfair...

Where can I get the FAAS setup? Is there an online site or would it be better to order direct? I have put almost 40K on the truck this year and it is now over 90K total miles. I havnt had any probs with the lift pump yet but I want to get this replaced before the 100K mark when my warranty expires.

Thanks

Allen

Old 12-02-2006 | 03:45 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Mayfair,

IIRC even if you don’t get any extra MPG it is still a good idea to use it as this ULSD is said to attract water and we all know what they does to our fuel system and injectors. Also it helps supply extra lube to the fuel system that ULSD lacks. Yes I know they claim to add lube to our fuel but they will not know if it is the correct amount for the next 4-6 years down the road. I call this cheap insurance to add it to every tank of fuel even if I did not get any extra out of it in the MPG department.

I just had a thought once go through two more tanks of diesel so that you have the tank empty of the brew try using a 5.25 oz bottle of Lucas fuel additive to 2-3 tanks of fuel and see if that will give you any extra MPG’s. I’ve used it in my wife’s car and also in my CTD and it gave both a boot in mpg’s.

I also think that now we are on winter fuel with ULSD I think that they are now using #1 ULSD instead of #1 LSD as I saw a bigger drop in fuel mileage this last tank on mine from when we first went to winter fuel a few weeks ago and I noticed the fuel color change again these last 2 fill ups compared to when we first made the switch to winter diesel.

Old 12-02-2006 | 05:56 PM
stewtina
Veteran

I didn't know WTF or Whiskey, Tango Foxtrot was a bad word?

Old 12-03-2006 | 02:52 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

A couple things I noticed just recently as I changed from the brew to Stadadyne.

First I saw a drop in mpg which was surprising but then was reminded of the winter mix. Then I remembered that of course I have been idling the truck in the AM on the last 1 1/2 tanks as well. So with this in mind I have been watching my overhead while driving to see what was going on on the highway and in town.

Of course I know that the overhead is not to be trusted but historically my overhead is rite around 4 mpg higher than calculated so using it as a reference the mpg is has been rite in line with the brew if not about 1mpg better on the highway. (But I also had a recent oil change)

Now my driving habits are almost routine. Same speed, same roads etc. just like most but the other thing I noticed is that on this last few tanks the boost has been about 2- even 4 psi higher at my usual cruising speed.

This I attributed to head winds which also explained my poor mpg but I wouldnt have seen this without the addition of the guages and would have blamed this on the change in brew / winter mix / driving habbits / whatever.

So, a long story short as Steve put it there are too many variables in the changes in my truck / brew / weather etc for me to come to any conclusions on the positives or negatives from changing from one brew to the next but you must take into consideration these other factors as well when you see such a dramatic drop in mpg.

Old 12-04-2006 | 03:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

my dramatic drop is directly tied to my right foot... [sm=gears.gif]

Old 12-04-2006 | 04:00 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Mayfair,

I just had a thought once go through two more tanks of diesel so that you have the tank empty of the brew try using a 5.25 oz bottle of Lucas fuel additive to 2-3 tanks of fuel and see if that will give you any extra MPG’s. I’ve used it in my wife’s car and also in my CTD and it gave both a boot in mpg’s.
Lucas, the brew, Standyne, Im beginning tothink that they are all similar and that one probably isn't much better than the next. I DO think that adding something is better than nothing at all.

Old 12-04-2006 | 04:33 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I'll sent you a PM about this

Old 12-04-2006 | 04:43 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Just got it .... thanks !!

Quick Reply: First fill up with the Brew ..... NOT GOOD