Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006 | 12:00 AM
trauts83
|
Rookie
Default Oil issue

Hey guys, first post, hopefully you can offer some insight before I take her to the dealer.

2006 CTD, no mods, 6k on the odometer, not driven hard (only blew black smoke 3 times)
I've noticed a lot of oil being blown out of the vent hose that comes off of the top of the valve cover. It's blowing oil all over my front diff/oil pan/etc. I zipped a paper towel around the end of the hose just to double check if that's where it was coming from, so that is what is in the pic, after 2 days driving ~60 miles stop/go. What could be the cause of this? Anything I should be overly concerned about? I attached some pics to show where I'm talking about:
Any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-09-2006 | 12:10 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Default RE: Oil issue

If your oil level is correct, and not growing. Then I would say you have a higher than normal amount of blow by. I would first check the oil level and make sure it is not over full. Then I would check the level several more times over the next day or two. If the oil level rises you probably have an injector issue (leaking fuel into crankcase). If all is well there, then there could be too much blow by. Blow by can be caused by rings no sealing in the cylinder properly. With the small amount of miles on your truck, I would think it is just not broken in good yet. I would suggest you work the truck good and hard tow heavy, and or load the bed down and run in the mountains. If it is just a "break in" issue this will help get the process rolling.

Old 12-09-2006 | 01:50 AM
i11m10c2
Veteran
Default RE: Oil issue

Would totaly agree but i would not plug the breather tube with anything again it needs to vent and blocking it might cause problems.

Quick Reply: Oil issue