Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AFE CAI question ......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:38 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFE CAI question ......

is it possible the AFE Stage II is too much for a stock turbo ? In other words.... can too much air cause a power
loss if it can't be dealt with by the turbo ?

After installing my AFE Stage II, I started hearing a horrible noise coming from that area. What I think it is, is
the air being sucked through the filter into the tube and once it's in the tube it's like a violent hurricane in there instead
of a smooth flow through the tube.

It's really hard to explain the sound.... almost like brakes grinding. I really feel it through the fuel pedal and it's mostly when
I let off the fuel.

Have anyone else experienced this sound?

I'm thinking I should go back to the S&B CAI I had on it before until the new turbo is installed. The sound wasn't there then.
It's tube is much small too.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: AFE CAI question ......

you will definately hear the turbo more, it is normal. I dont recall which setup you went with, is it the big filter? you will notice a loss in low end with the big one. that loss will gradually come back as the filter gets dirty. it will scream on the top end. but to answer your question, no, the turbo will only draw what it needs based on the exhasut flow.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

you will definately hear the turbo more, it is normal. I dont recall which setup you went with, is it the big filter? you will notice a loss in low end with the big one. that loss will gradually come back as the filter gets dirty. it will scream on the top end. but to answer your question, no, the turbo will only draw what it needs based on the exhasut flow.

Thanks Steve. Yes, I knew the turbo would be louder ( that's a good thing ) and yes, I do have the big filter.

It doesn't seem to be the turbo though. It whistles fine, it's the sound on top of that
I don't know about. Yes, I can hear the air being sucked in but, it's almost like a gasser racking off when
I let off the pedal.

As you know the tube for the AFE is plastic and very large at one point. I'm wondering if I'm getting a
terrible vibration from the air in the tube. Everything is bolted down fine too. Instead of entering the turbo smoothly,
it seems as though there's a violent vortex going on and the air is just bouncing all around making a nasty sound.

I am new here so, if I'm sounding like I'm crazy.... sorry ;-) It's just a noise that wasn't there when I had the S&B CAI installed.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

IDK what to tell you w/o hearing it... when I took out my silencer ring I thought something was wrong as I didnt expect the sound to be what it was but it's fine.

Quick Reply: AFE CAI question ......