Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking for Official Dodge Turbo Timer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:43 AM
logoutzero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Official Dodge Turbo Timer?

My dad has had his Cummins for less than six months. Being an ex-cross country tractor/trailer driver, and just considering the type of man he is, he is hellbent on good care for his Cummins. Every time he goes for a ride, he let's the system idle for a few moments before turning it off. (I thought that Diesel burned cool enough not to warrant cooling the turbo down, but he insists on it.) I offered up the thought of installing an aftermarket turbo-timer, and he said that would be a perfect idea, only he qualifies that it must be an official Dodge part, installed from the dealer not to void his warranty.

I know nothing about Dodge, and even less about his dealer. So I figured I would start on the web first. Usually the web knows more anyways.

By the way, new member as well. And thanks for your time.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:53 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: Looking for Official Dodge Turbo Timer?

Welcome to DF logoutzero!

He really doesn't "need" to let it cooldown, as you stated, unless he just came off a heavy tow, long highway run, hot rodding etc. The owners manual has a few guidelines in it for cooldown, but this thing is built for the average person who is gonna start, go, stop, shutdown.

Not sure if Dodge actually has one for the 5.9, it's gonna come on the new 6.7's though.

There are ton of aftermarket ones, both with pyrometers and ones on timers (no tapping your manifold).

Do some research on these. What I mean is that there are a few of them that are completely automatic and all you do is pull the key and walk and it takes care of the rest. Then there are some that you push a button, turn the key off, then walk. Just something to keep in mind when looking.

Sounds like you have something to get him for Christmas, maybe a nice remote starter w/ turbo timer (i.e. Viper 791).

Hint, hint Santa!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:55 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Thats what I installed on mine and love it..its nice getting in a warm truck in the morning ( yeah I know its AZ but it does get cold some times) and being able to let the turbo cool with out sitting there.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 PM
logoutzero

Hmm. He used to have a remote starter on his Grand Cherokee Laredo, and he loved it. (We lived in WA state at the time.) I might be able to convince him to go aftermarket, if I go with the Viper unit. Remote start AND turbo timer? Yeah, he'd like that.

Time for me to go Google the Viper unit! Thanks for your help folks.

By the way, my old turbo Talon AWD had a pull out the key and walk turbo timer. So I know a little about them.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:39 PM
cumminalong

E-bay has the Viper's for WAY lower than retail.

Drop dwon my chimney while you're at it.

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa claus, right down Cumminalong's way!

Quick Reply: Looking for Official Dodge Turbo Timer?