Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Greywolf66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust brakes

OK So I have told you my tales of woe with my manual trans, and the weight of my new camper 3198 dry. Can any one recomend a good exhaust brake. I don't want to burn up my brakes, as I do alot of mountain driving
Tom

Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM
i11m10c2
Veteran
Default RE: Exhaust brakes

Havent heard of your probs but 3198lbs you should have no probs other than tire contact,tell me more if you can .

I just installed cummins/dodge jake brake and i love it its not cheap but it has 100,000 mile waranty from cummins and dodge and does not mess with waranty,and it will pull my truck down quickly, driving around towni dont even use brakes just the jake.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:09 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've got a PAC-Brake exhaust brake on my 2001 and wouldn't tow or haul ever again without one. It is really good quality and not hard to install. If you look in your Dodge USers manual, it actually says that if you haul over 10,000 lbs, an exhaust brake is recommended, at least the manual for my 01 does.

Bob

Old 01-01-2007, 08:39 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Greywolf66

OK So I have told you my tales of woe with my manual trans, and the weight of my new camper 3198 dry. Can any one recomend a good exhaust brake. I don't want to burn up my brakes, as I do alot of mountain driving
Tom
Seems like any of the major brands are quality products. From what I understand about exhaust braking, I think only the 12 valve motors needed 60lb exhaust springs. And being you have a standard, the clutch makes a mechanical link between motor and tranny. You're braking capability should be quite noticeable.

My other opinion (not that you asked....lol) as far as braking, is that one simple modification to the brake system should also be done. Slotted rotors. Even slotted with a few cross drilled holes, or dimples in between the slots. I promise you that slotted rotors will give you the ability to brake heavy down hills.Even if you need toride them.And heavy enough to handle what the exhaust brake can't. I have slotted and you just can't imagine what I do to my truck. I brake 1 time only pullin up to stop lights, corners, etc........LOL

Just tossing it out there.

Good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: Exhaust brakes