Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Automatics vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 PM
redjeepgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatics vs Manual?

Hi,

I'm currently looking to purchase a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, 2wd with 35k miles on it. It was used as a show/advertising truck for a local dealership. The only concern I have is that it has an automatic transmission. I've had Dodge vehicles in the past with some pretty serious issues with automatic transmissions. Do I need to worry about this with modern rams? What years are to be feared? Will I lose a substantial amount of mpg with this transmission? Will I need to have it rebuilt frequently?

Thanks,

Kelly

Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Automatics vs Manual?

Gear ratio means everything as far as fuel economy with an automatic. stay away from the 4:10 rearend if you want mileage. autos are fine if you treat them right. If your gonna be pullin heavy, just get it rollin before you nail it from a dead stop. that cummins has alot of torque to be kikkin it around!!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Dodge transmissions really don't have any problems the main issue is the auto tranny can only handle i think something aroudn 75 hp more than what stock is. So those guys that are running the programmer and towing heavy and stompin on it from a dead stop are the ones that are burning up their tranny's. But from a personal standpoint since i'm an 18 yr old i just love running through gears so manual is what i get. maybe when i'm older and have arthritic knees i will change my mind. But all in all you'll be fine with the auto tranny just treat it right

Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with all the forums I belong to and frequent, tranny problems are few and far between with the 48RE auto.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

RedJeepGirl,

Welcome to the forum!

I have an 06 2500 CTD with the 48RE auto. So far no real complaints about the 48RE in 4100 miles, but my truck is still a virgin. The tranny works just fine when I am towing my boat. Plus I believe the 06+ 48RE not only give you a tow/haul mode but also a OD lockout mode as well to help stop the hunting for a gear deal.

I also have an Edge Juice/Attitude on my truck and the tranny seems to handle stage 3 with no trouble (+60 rwhp +150 Torque). But I rarely do stop light launches. I like the added passing power to blow by slow motorists going up hill to my house. Haven't played too much with stage 4 and 5, since I want some longevity out of my drive train. The extra HP really help stop the whole gear hunt thing as well.

The only real complaint I have about the 48RE is this:

When I am using Stage 3 and I want to do a rolling 60mph pass, my the tranny seems to hesitate in gear (2 or 3 not sure) andmy CTDisturning about 2500 rpms. The hesitation will last about 1-2 seconds, then I feel the tranny shift, rpms drop, boost goes way upand I get a big blast of power (freight train style) and the truck charges way into the "Don't pass go, Don't collect 200 Dollars, Jail zone" of speed. I am sure there is a trick that I am not doing to by pass this (like using tow haul mode or OD lockout mode) or something.

Help! LOL!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 PM
PRam
Professional

ORIGINAL: MrSlug

Welcome to the forum!

The only real complaint I have about the 48RE is this:

When I am using Stage 3 and I want to do a rolling 60mph pass, my the tranny seems to hesitate in gear (2 or 3 not sure) andmy CTDisturning about 2500 rpms. The hesitation will last about 1-2 seconds, then I feel the tranny shift, rpms drop, boost goes way upand I get a big blast of power (freight train style) and the truck charges way into the "Don't pass go, Don't collect 200 Dollars, Jail zone" of speed. I am sure there is a trick that I am not doing to by pass this (like using tow haul mode or OD lockout mode) or something.

Help! LOL!
Iseem to have the same thing in my truck it's bone stock though, once it gets into 3rd gear it really puts the power out, I heard some say that is part of the "Torque Management System" on the Cummins engine. Do not know how true that is.
With 34, 000 on the odometer no problem at all.

Paul

Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Drew

with all the forums I belong to and frequent, tranny problems are few and far between with the 48RE auto.
I'll pass on what I heard a tech at my local dealership say a few weeks back. They have not had one fail or a warranty related trans problem in the past 2 years on the 48RE

Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Cummin out smoke

Ive got a 06 ctd 3500 with a manuel trany. Ive got it chiped and a few other things. The trany seems like it has no trouble with the added hp/torq from the superchip but when i ramp on it it total eates the clutch up. Any one else have that trouble to and if so what kind of clutch do yall recommend?

Quick Reply: Automatics vs Manual?