Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

air pocket in Power steering pump.how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM
TurboLion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air pocket in Power steering pump.how to remove?

OK I finally got around to fixing the gear box oil leak. I bought a clean (like new) used gear box from areputable salvage yard. During the installation I discovered the high pressure hose "Connector treads" to be very corroded & decided to replace the ps hose for about $16.00. Yes fluid poured out & I expected to refill it.The Problem is after everything is installed, I don’t have any power steering from the ps pump. It steers hard without the power steering pump working. I assume I have an air pocket in the lines..the manual states to replace the fluid and turn the wheels left to right and work out the air pocket. So if that’s the problem, anyone else do this. How do I get the pump to work normally again..? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: air pocket in Power steering pump.how to remove?

That's exactly what you do.

Jack the front of the truck up and turn the ignition on, but do not start the truck. Turn the wheel back and forth a few time with the resevoir cap loose.

Tighten the cap, start the truck and turn left and right. You'll hear it stop whining (or whine less) once you work the air out.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack it up and run the pump while you trun the wheel left and right. The pump is filled with fluid enough where you won't do any damage. Just crank it all the way from one end to the other. It will get easier. The resevoir will foam, but new fluid settles pretty quick. Let it set for 30 mins, and do it again till you have just a small amount of foam. It will work itself out and add to the fluid level ever so slightly.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 AM
TurboLion

thanks..I'll get back on it sunday afternoon..hey DieselDemonI see you have a '96 ..I wonder if you would look at your power steering pump and the hose's that go to the gear box..I had the truck in the garage for two weeks while the parts were en route.) .I wonder if I mixed/crossed the hose's to the gear box..lol ..Could someone answer this??..On the p/s pump..does the power steering hose on the "Engine side" that come's "Out of the p/s pump" go to the gear box "Engine side"..Right side (when sitting behind the steering wheel) shoot I may have crossed the two.one is a high pressure line & the other is a "Return line" back to the pump.....thanks again all !!

Old 01-14-2007, 01:15 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TurboLion

thanks..I'll get back on it sunday afternoon..hey DieselDemonI see you have a '96 ..I wonder if you would look at your power steering pump and the hose's that go to the gear box..I had the truck in the garage for two weeks while the parts were en route.) .I wonder if I mixed/crossed the hose's to the gear box..lol ..Could someone answer this??..On the p/s pump..does the power steering hose on the "Engine side" that come's "Out of the p/s pump" go to the gear box "Engine side"..Right side (when sitting behind the steering wheel) shoot I may have crossed the two.one is a high pressure line & the other is a "Return line" back to the pump.....thanks again all !!
On your truck, the outter fitting (closest to the frame) is the inlet (high pressure). The fitting closest to theengine is the low pressure return. On the ps pump, the high pressure line will thread into the pump. The low pressure return line simply slides onto a barbed fitting and is held on with a clamp. The low pressure hose also has on one flared fitting on it. The high pressure hose has two. One at the pump, one at the steer gear.

Hope that helps. I looked in my 95' manual. I have a diesel, the hoses are opposite for a gasser. I looked in the book.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

You need to pump your brakes as wellsince the power brake system is fed from the power steering pump. Air could be trapped in there as well. Also if you ran your pump dry enough times, you could have permanently damaged the pump to the point that it will never be quiet and will fail in the future.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

I don't think they had hydroboost till 96 or 97. I had a 94ctd and I still have my 95' ctd. Both were vacuum boost. I am not sure that his 94 would have it.

You're right about workin the pedal though. It takes a LONG time to get all the air out of a hydro system.

Good luck with ALL our rides.

Quick Reply: air pocket in Power steering pump.how to remove?