Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Where is the fuel primer a 96 12valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:38 PM
mopar98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the fuel primer a 96 12valve?

Changing the fuel filter today and have located the bleed screw on top of the filter housing ,but where is the prmer bulb my manuel is talking about it says it's on the fuel pump. The fuel pumps on the drivers side of the block right or am I looking at something else.
This ain't my truck and I don't know a lot about diesel so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:02 AM
racer9
Veteran
Default RE: Where is the fuel primer a 96 12valve?

I hope you found it by now, it's very hard to see and get to. It's toward the back side of the fuel pump, right above the starter. The easiest way is to get a good bright light andlook down between the front edge of the brake booster, and the lower rear part of the master cylinder. I use a stick about 2 feet long, down through that area. It's a rubber button looking thing, and only has about a 2 inch stroke.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the guys said. Driver's side of the engine, towards the very rear of the motor. Right above your preheater.......(looks like a carb on a Briggs and Straton lawn engine). The pump has a hand plunger. Feel around, you will know it when you figure out the shape. It is located on the lower half of the lift pump.

Crack the bleeder above the fuel filter, and push the lift pump plunger. It will push perpendicular to the engine. About 2 or 3 pumps is all it takes. It also helps to prime your filter.

When you go to start it, she'll crank a little longer than normal. Then it will sputter. If you have a trained foot...lol.....feather the throttle slightly, and only what is need to keep the motor running. It will purge iteself in about 30-45 seconds of running time. Let it idle for a few mins also. The check for any leaks.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:15 AM
mopar98
All Star

Yep , I found it.
Kinda like having sex for the first time .
U fool around enuff u will eventually find the sweet spot.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: Where is the fuel primer a 96 12valve?