Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

diesel ping ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
marc_thornton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel ping ?

I have an '04 5.9L H.O 3500 that is making a god awful sound. I am relatively new to the diesel world as this is my first.
Here's what happened in a nut shell.

Was just about out offuel and stopped at a NEW diesel mom and pop station: just opened a month ago. I drove approx 15 miles and the engine started pinging - extremely loud. I shut the truck off and had a friend tow me home. I opened the fuel/water seperator valve. Drained completely and turned key on to fill back up. Started it and same noise is still happening. No dash lights come on. Mechanically everything seems fine, However when it pings it also blows black smoke out the pipe at the same time.

I am assuming mom and pop shop sold watery diesel and the water is causing engine to not explode.

Does anyone know any other possibilities, solutions or ideas ?

If it is water in the tank any suggestions on how to drain ?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback !!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:51 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: diesel ping ?

It may be a good idea to put a qt of PS in the white bottle in your tank as this will help with any water that may be in your fuel tank. I hope you got a receipt for proof of where you got your fuel just in case it screws up some thing.

Quick Reply: diesel ping ?