Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

OBD

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
fortis65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD

Yeslike everybody else I have a check engine light problem. Lol. My CEL came on and I figured out how to read the codes. Now that everything is fixed I cant get the light to clear. I tried disconecting the battery, unplugging the computer with no avail. It shows all codes cleared but after it shows done in the odometerthe light flashes 10 times. What does this mean? I have taken it to Autozone and there scanners wont read my truck. I guess its to new. I have a 2006 Cummins 2500. I do have an appointment with my dealership ina few days but would like to know what the 10 flashes mean and how to clear the light if anybody knows. This is in case it happens again and I can fix it myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: OBD

in my experience with CEL's... and from others have said, the light will go out after up to 9 starts. The computer does a diagnostic on the trucks systems everytime you start it. Not all system are checked at the same time so, several starts are needed to get to the system that threw the code.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
cumminalong

The startups do and don't work.

On some codes, if it's minor, after 5 full start cycles the light will go out, IF it's an inactive code.

On other codes, the light will not go out until you have done 2 back-to-back trips that are in excess of 8 miles. Again, IF it's an inactive code.

Otherwise the light will stay lit until cleared.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:39 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

Welcome to DF... you'd need the right scanner to clear the CEL... I had one a while back and could not clear it... DieselNut came over with a superchips flashpaq and cleared it for me.

http://www.superchips.com/products.p...&Submit=Go

expensive code clearer...

Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
fortis65

Well thanks everybody for the replies. The day before it was going to the shop the light went off.and has not come back on. So I am thinking that replacing the air filter fixed the problem. It just took a few starts to clear it.
Hey I was thinking about chipping my truck for performance and mileage. Which one does anybody reccomend?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TST all the way

or if your going for a programmer smarty, but the TST can be pulled off easier if there is an issue