Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Opinon Needed, Locker Additive

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Opinon Needed, Locker Additive

lol...

Congratulations on the wedding... end of the month is it?

One mod you might consider is the oil bypass kit install... gives more peace of mind for what the condition of the oil is in... https://dodgeforum.com/m_653443/tm.htm

So i take it JagJ52 is the buddy who got you pointed in the CTD direction? good choice!! and nice work Jag!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve. Yep, end of the month. 31st to be exact. Then I'll be moving her and her son over here on the 1st of Feb. AND I have to move out of my current place at the same time. Busy couple of days.

Jag was one of several. A couple others on my shift at work also have Ram Diesels and I figured it was high time for me to join the former gasser club.

I am thinking of the bypass filter but also in conjunction with the pre-luber. I haven't given up on that yet. The only thing holding me back, other than install time right now, is cost. But I may have that aspect beat in mid March. I'll keep you advised on that via PM or IM.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
lesimon
Professional

I replaced the differential fluids in my truck and on further investigation I found that you need to know exactly what rear differential that you have in your truck. After talking to the local Dodge dealer they could not tell me which differential I had in my truck, ( Trac-lock, Trac-Rite) therefor I put additive in the differential because it wil not hurt anything if it isn't required and it only cost $8.00 Canadian.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

sounds like a busy week... I think a pre-luber would be a good idea, I looked into it a while back and the $600+ bux for the kit kinda put it on hold. Amsoil had some kind of kit that did the same thing using compressed air and a reserve tank. didnt like that setup too much as i'd rather have a pump pushing oil thru it. anyways, if you ever do the pre-lube install, let us know how it goes...

Old 01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
cumminalong

This will help you see if you need a friction modifier or not.

If you look at the picture, you can see the helical gears inside the LSD. This type unit DOES NOT need additives whatsoever. Now, if you have a LSD that has the clutch packs (normally you'll see springs, plates and friction packs in the hole) they need the additive. When you pop the cover, you will definitely know.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/FD3F37361CF24EEBB4A17AD1EACE95EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007, 06:11 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I probably won't be doing it until things settle down here, and I get my other enterprise up and running (sometime in mid-march due to having to register as an LLC). Anyhow, I was looking at the AMSOIL one and at least the one I was looking at appears to be a pump type.

Again, I'll know more when I really start looking into it. I don't want to mess with compressed air and a tank. Forget that madness. Sounds great for a drag strip engine, but every day use, uh uh. No way. Not for me.

Cumminalong, I'm not getting any chatter or any noise whatsoever out of the back end so I'm guessing everything is hunky dorey. Now, all I need to do is change over the engine and transfer case to AMSOIL and I'll be set. Everything else is already done.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:43 PM
handymanherb
Banned

ORIGINAL: ljpierce_ely

I was looking at the AMSOIL one and at least the one I was looking at appears to be a pump type.

Again, I'll know more when I really start looking into it. I don't want to mess with compressed air and a tank. .
The AMS-Oiler® operates as an engine oil reservoir, charged under pressure directly from the oil pump output during normal engine operation. Upon turning the ignition key to the on position, up to 160 cc’s (5.4 oz.) of oil are discharged from the reservoir to engine surfaces, building oil pressure and providing vital lubrication

Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I know that Amsoil has one that operates in conjunction with the Bypass setup and I believe that is the pressurized one. They also apparentlyhave a stand-alone model that is a pump type.

Again, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, nor the last). I'll know more when I delve into it in the coming month. I may be doing the pre-luber sooner than I thought.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:11 PM
handymanherb
Banned

They have the stand along too that works off oil pressure too.

Check it out here http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/amk.aspx

Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I started looking into a DIY setup, pump, lines, controllerand an inline filter.... comes to about $440 before shipping. and that didnt include a check valve... forgot about that one. It seems to me that if most of the wear is @ startup and you have one of these installed along with a bypass kit, your motor should out last you...

think about it... the bypass catches everything down to 2 microns, now with a pre-luber your eliminating most of the wear materialthat gets into the oil to begin with. less to filter out.

Quick Reply: Opinon Needed, Locker Additive