Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

05 cummins blowby

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:23 PM
hummergreg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 cummins blowby

I have an 05 dually with the cummins. It only has 88000 miles on it and it just started having a lot of blowby. It will blow the oil fill cap out of your hand. I don't want to take it a part if the motor is done, but I can't imagine a cummins only lasting 88kmiles. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Default RE: 05 cummins blowby

no. none on my part or my uncles. might want to take it to a diesel mech and ask him a few questions and stuff.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I'm no expert, so take this any way you want. Check for simple stuff first, maybe the crankcase vent is clogged of malfunctioning in some way. My $0.02 worth.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

download the manual from the www.hemitruckclub.com site... it's on the left hand side of the page. there might be some info in there to point you in the right direction. Have you checked the owners manual to see if there is any service that might have been missed?

Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 PM
SMOKINGREY
Rookie

well a few simple checks is to check your filters and see if they have any signs of dirt entry by them.if you do then you engine might be dusted.another the breather may no be working properly.does it puff at idle,does it use oil does it smoke out the exhaust.and maybe take a oil sample that can tell you the most.if you take a oil sample and it does show it to have dirt entry or copper high and any sign of high metals then you might have some prolems.it seem it still under warr. so if you take it to the dealer don't make it seem like you know whats going on.but make sure your not sucking dirt into the engine any where and cover your tracks if you are clean all the piping then change your oil and,that way if you take it to the dealer they wont see and of those cont.basiclly you just want them to know your seeing blow bye and you not sure why.warranty will void anything thing that shows to be wore out from lack of maintaince or customer abuse.

just a fe things you might think about it.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Take it back to the dealer and make em eat the 100k mile warranty before its gone. Do the easy checks first. You gotta remember as tough as the engines are their still made by human hands!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
hummergreg

Thanks guys, the dealer says it only had a 70000 mile warrant. I just bought it at 80k miles. It used 4qts of oil in the last 1000 miles. It has a cloud of smoke when it first starts up, along with a rough idle, and when I'm driving down the freeway it coats the underside of the truck with oil. I hope it is just something plugged or a dirty filter. I am 1000 miles from home, and I hope that if I keep oil in it I'll make it.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Watermelon
Captain

I thought all CTDs had a 100k on the engine.

Quick Reply: 05 cummins blowby