Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

No Brakes on 96 1-ton please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 AM
DV Custom Hauling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brakes on 96 1-ton please help.

Hi All, Ihad a 95 1-ton 2wheel drive and a96 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive truck. I took all the 1-ton items off the 95 and put on the 96 3/4 ton truck. Changed the rearend, front hubs, rear springs. The problem I'm having a cant get any brakes on the 96 now. Before I changed these over the brakes on the 96 work but they were like I only had back brakes or drum brakes only, if your old enough to remember only drum brakes,lol.So I figure there may have been some type of problem on the 96 before I changed everything over anyway. WhenI put the 1-ton rearend under the 96 3/4 ton truck I unhooked the brake line on the frame just behind the fuel tankandfastened the1-ton rear into it. I have no leaks on the rearend lines. I used the anti lock sencer that is on the 1-ton rear, the wire plugged in. I had very good brakes on the 1-ton95 truck before I pulled it out. When I changed the front hubs over I removed and used the 1-ton calipers just in case they were different then the 3/4 ton truck. After changing everything over I openedall the lines at the wheels and kept them open until fluid started to drip from each one. Istarted at thePS rear and bleed that line with help from a friend, then I moved to DS rear then to PS front and finally to the DS front. When I pump the brakes it seems like they are working but if you hold it it will just drop off like there is nothing. All the brakes were fine on the 95 1-ton before I put them on the 96 3/4 ton truck. I went ahead and put the 1-ton master cylinderon the 96 truck but still the same thing. I hope everyone understand what I'm asking. Please help if you can. What I did was take a 96 3/4 ton truck and made it a 1-tontruck. There's no bed on the truck and I have gone along all the lines and can't find any leaks. Nor do I see any leaks at the wheels.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No Brakes on 96 1-ton please help.

To adjust the brakes properly, adjust it to the point that you can JUST get the drum on. Then, once the whole vehicle is together again, take a few forward and backward runs for about 8 feet hitting the brakes hard in reverse. The pedal may drop a little on the first few times, but will then come back to normal. This is more accurate than adjusting the brakes by
the adjuster alone which is all most shops do.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No Brakes on 96 1-ton please help.

Good place that tells all about brake jobs on your ram.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/repair/.../brake_job.htm

Quick Reply: No Brakes on 96 1-ton please help.