Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hard starting diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 AM
hohner0006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting diesel

I'm new to this forum and new to diesels as well. I bought a '99 Dodge 2500 with the cummins 24 valve turbo charged motor. It has a K & N air filter, straight exhaust and I don't know if it has been reprogrammed or chipped or if it is stock. The problem I'm having is starting in cold temps. It starts ok down to around 22-25 degrees but any colder than that it takes several attempts cycling the "WTS" light. I don't believe the heating grids are working. I spoke with a diesel shop that said the grids don't go bad and that I should check the voltage to the grid. I am mechanically inclined but I'm not familiar with the set-up enough to know exactly what wires to check. I went through all the connections and found several loose but this did not help. I'm guessing the selonoid that the wiring and the cables run into and out of may be the culprit or it could be that the connections are not properly hooked up. My reason for this guess is that the wiring running from the harness to the engine sidse of the selonoid is pulled pretty tight and lacks any slack. Does anyone have any suggestions? Possibly a wiring diagram to rule out any mixed up wires? Thanks for any help. hohner

Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hard starting diesel

I would check the solenoid and see if it is working properly. . .you should hear it "pop". with the grid heater I would just look for continuity between the voltage input and a common ground.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Try using a jumper on the seleniod. Go from bat + to the exciter terminal on the selenoid and see if it starts. If it does, then its the exciter circuit. If it doesn't, its either the selenoid or the grid heaters.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 AM
joepascoe19
Rookie

my old ford never used to start in the colder temps i would have to put in new glow plugs in it twice a year b4 winter and then in the spring and it would be fine

Old 02-01-2007, 01:15 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Are you sure you gapped them right[&:]
Must be a ford thing i just don't understand

Quick Reply: Hard starting diesel