Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6" Stacks and a question about manual tranny temp and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6" Stacks and a question about manual tranny temp and upgrade

Ok guys so my 07 TRX4 CTD is ordered and on the way. I've had some time to sit and think about my about to be born truck and what I want to do with it. I know I want to delete the cat adn muffler and put an aero turbine on. I was thinking about putting stacks on itsince I like the look of the ones that bend at about 45 degrees and are not much taller than the cab. I was thinking I wanted to get larger stacks than 4" diameter. I might be wrong but wouldn't 4" stacks seem kinda small?. So I thought about 5" or 6". But from what I read you lose low end power due to the lack of backpressure with a large exhaust diameter like 5 or 6 inches. That is unless you have a lot of mods pushing lotta exhaust out. Which as of now I won't just want to do this for aesthetic purposes and "coolness factor" (I like that term). I was wondering if just the Stacks are of larger diameter does it still have the same effect of lossof low endor as a cure for thisI thought about like a pipe in pipe design. where most of the way up the stack there is basically a 4" stack not chromed or polished just steel and for lack of a better term a sleeve that is 5" or 6". End the 4" stack about an inch or more from the tip of the 5" sleeve so you can't see the smaller pipe. Perhaps pack the remaining inch or two inches of empty space with a high heat expanding foam so the pipes don't resonate and cause and annoying vibration.What do you guys think of that?? Or doeshaving the larger stacks not affect the performance like having a full 6" exhaust. This was just an ideaI got when sitting bored through calculus today and thought it wasn't a half bad idea.

Now onto my second question lol. I got the truck with a six speed manual tranny. From what I read it seems like a weak point on these trucks when you start modding is thetransmission. For me I do planthroughout the years I will own this truck sinceI'm the typethat take good care and keep a car till she croaks to mod this thing and probably be pushing some decent power. ( I think i'm going to be 70 and still drving this truck how kickass would that be). One what are the limitations of the stock manualtransmission andhow would I upgrade it so that it isa bulletproof piece that I won't have to worry about.Also is it a real concern to worry aboutthe temp of the manual transmission fluid???.

Sorry for the novel but Itried to use good grammar to make it easier to read.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: 6" Stacks and a question about manual tranny temp and upgrade

Is this truck coming with the 6.7L or the old 5.9L??? as for the trans I can't help ya, don't know enough about them.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Ben D.
Champion

It is going to be the 6.7L. The salesman wasn't sure really at all. He was telling me 5.9L to begin with and I said I thought the 6.7L was starting after the new year he clicked around on his computer and said yea I guess you're right 6.7L. I'm assuming that Pennsylvania's laws will stay the same and diesel's will be emissions exempt. If that changes then o well find somehting different. I can't wait to get this truck It'll be nice once I do get it. I was slightly worried about the 6.7 but cummins tends to be on top of their game and it is really close to the 5.9

Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Mayfair
Legend

As big a fan as I am of stacks, I think 6" stacks would look a bit too big. I'd probably stick with the 4" ones.

Good luck with it !!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Yea see this was just running through my mind when i was just sitting back and relaxin. I need to see some pics of trucks with 4" stacks because at first I thought perhaps 4" would look small but then again maybe not. That's why I came up with this idea to get the look of monster stacks but keep the low end performance of a 4" exhaust. but i'm not sure how stacks will be made for the new diesel since with the extra exhaust stuff ie particualte filter. but i'm sure there will be a way. I can't believe how long this is taking but I guess since it's a new engine takes extra time for production. I wanted to get the 5.9 but we looked and just coudn't find what I wanted with a six speed manual. Most we found were fully loaded laramies and such that were just wayyyyy tooo expensive. So we ended up ordering and getting the 6.7. No biggie. Plus i really didn't get too many options just the forged aluminum rims, clearance lamps, block heater, and the security alarm. (wanted keyless entry so I could start the truck and lock it and be able to wait where it's warm till the truck warms up and not worry about people trying to steal it.

Quick Reply: 6" Stacks and a question about manual tranny temp and upgrade