Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

External Oil Filtering

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 PM
lesimon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Oil Filtering

I have been thinking about making up an external oil filtering system. The same way that companies filter diesel feul in underground tanks. I would use a quick coupler from the oil pan drain plug to the external filter and then from the filter back to the engine. This way I would not void the warranty and I could filter the oil for any length of time on a weekly basis.
I would also like to make up a electric prelube pump system. I do the maintenance on a 1000 Hp genset . When I complete an oil and filter change, I simply turn on the lube pump to fill the six filters and prelube the engine prior to start up. I can not see why this would be hard to do yourself. Obtaining a electric pump with the proper specifications would probably be the hardest part. I would appreciate any and all feed back that anyone could give me.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: External Oil Filtering

I think it would be cheaper and faster to just install a by pass filter system then what you want to do. Also less chance of some thing breaking the line from the drain plug to your filter system.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: External Oil Filtering