Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

voltage regulator ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:25 PM
bill0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage regulator ??

I just put a new altornator on my 94 dodge ram2500 it still is not charging
would it be the voltage regulator and if so where is it located?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Ralph78
Professional
Default RE: voltage regulator ??

ORIGINAL: bill0

Check your Alternator fuse, on my early 98 it is under the plastic cover on the drivers side 2/3 of the way back on the fender cover. Mine had a 140 AMP fuse in it, only available around here at the Dodge Dealership. When my Alternator went out, it fried the fuse. After replacing the Alt. the Alt. tested OK on voltage output, but there was no "Charge" indication. I was really worried as I did not know about the fuse. I looked at a wiring diag. and it showed the fuse block and had a listing for "Alternator Fuse", I checked it and sure enough it was blown.

Ralph

Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bill0

I concur. Directly behind the driver's side battery. Big black plastic cover. There is an alternator fuse in the power distribution center. I can't remember the color but it may be a 160 amp? I can't remember.

If this fuse blows, the alternators charge wire, (the biggest wire on the alt), is not hooked in to the trucks electrical system. In reality, the truck is running strickly from the batterires.

Your truck alt is makin juice. The link that brings it all together has melted. Easy fix.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I had the exact same problem. My alternator caught on fire and shorted out the whole electrical system. Luckily it blew the 140 amp fuse and did no damage (other than the alternator). I did not know about the fuse until 2 days after installing the new alternator and finding out that the system was not charging.

I also heard from a friend that works at a Dodge dealership that some people blow that fuse by changing the oil. If you use a filter wrench, it is very easy to ground out that wire on the terminal located on the alternator.

Don't try to find it at a local auto parts store or the internet. I could only find it from the dealer.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

Don't try to find it at a local auto parts store or the internet. I could only find it from the dealer.
I bought two of the 140 AMP fuses, and I carry one in the glove box. Everyone should obtain an extra fuse and keep in the truck, just like a spare fuel filter.

Quick Reply: voltage regulator ??