Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
killerriceball
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls out

I have a 97 ram 2500 cummins and for the first 15 min of driving i will push the gas pedal and let off (as if i was approaching a stop sign) and the truck will stall out. It doesn't matter what the temp outside is, but it stalls. The truck has 140,000 miles on it. I replaced the fuel filter and change the oil regularly and it gets a little better but gets worse again.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stalls out

The Bosch Injector pump has a pressure valve in the return fuel line. This valve can malfunction in the open or partially open position. At idle, with an open valve, the injector pump is not receiving enough fuel on the intake side of business because fuel is being allowed to flow unrestricted, back to the tank. The truck runs better at higher rpms because the lift pump is pumping faster, creating more pressure for the injector pump to work with.

And also, there does come a time where the idle may need to be adjusted as well. I have had to fine tune mine a few times. Parts develop slack/slop, cables stretch, etc.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:41 AM
killerriceball
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of time and what tools do i need to do the adjustment?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a replacement, it's about $80-100, and it takes about 5 mins. I pinched my return fuel line, in small incriments and could hear the idle rising. I replaced mine and it was the fix. What do your

Good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: Stalls out