Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Winching

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Little Foot
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winching

On my last trip to the snow there was a Dakota stuck in a snow bank. I first hooked on to her with just straps but with stock tires truck was just sliding around. I decided to anchor to a old pine and hook on to her with my Warn 9.5ti multi-mount.

During the pull I noticed that the winch would pull as normal then sound like it was going to bog down, after a bit of this it would pull again normally. The outside temperature was around 35 deg. I am wondering if the grid heaters come on and off if the air temp is too cold, or does the alternator typical cycle when a load such as a winch is applied.

This was the first winching experience withthe diesel, but the same winch was used on my old rig (Dakota) without any variation in power.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: Winching

Was the truck up to full temp? If the grid heaters were cycling, then YES you were loosing power.

That is 2 HUGE current draws from your system and when the truck is at idle, the alternator doesn't crank out full juice.

Best thing to do is get the high idle feature enabled on your truck so that you can manually step the RPM's up and get the alt up to full juice.

You'll still notice a small drop, but not nearly as bad.

The other thing is, it may have just been loading and unloading the winch. As the load moves, it's generally not in a real smooth motion. Some times it jerks a little and this will laod and unload the cable, making it seem like the winch is bogging.

Most likely the grid heaters though. Get the high idle turned on at the dealer. It only takes 5 minutes.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Little Foot
Veteran

Fast idle is this feature where you can set the engine rpm's using the cruise control? What are the draw backs to this feature?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
cumminalong

Yes, you activate it by putting the truck in park, turning cruise control on, hit the set button and it will jump up to 1100 RPM's

You can bump it up using the accel button and back down to 1100 using the decel. It turns off when you hit the brake, put into gear, or turn the cruise off.

No drawbacks at all. Great feature. I use it anytime I run the winch.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Little Foot
Veteran

Thanks I will have it turned on.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

What he said.