Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Vacuum Fun! 01 Ram 2500

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
kawram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Fun! 01 Ram 2500

Ok,

Got my 01' 2500 Cummins 24v truck,

Fixed the other problem with the help of a few others off of the site, Now I come once again looking for others that might be running into the same issues.

First thing I've noticed is my heater controls Do Not work, I had it not selecting the temperature before, had a celonoid replaced at the place of purchase of the truck problem was solved. Now I cannot select where the fan blows, I know the fan is running but the heater cannot be aimed anywhere. It trys to blow out the defroster but its very weak.
Are the selector vavles on these trucks operated by vaccuum or electronically?

I'm also back to the fun of my front axle not engaging, I had this happen on my 1996 2500 5.9ltr, it was the actuator on the axle then, was eliminated by getting the aftermarket cable thats available online called Posi-Lock.
Well, finally got the truck in the garage last night, I have no vaccuum to the front axle actuator. Could this be related to my loss of heater controls?

Thanks,
KawRam
Mark.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 PM
k12allen
Professional
Default RE: Vacuum Fun! 01 Ram 2500

Since a diesel motor doesn't have vacuum in the intake manifold, don't you have a separate vacuum pump for things that need vacuum?

And since you have two vacuum things not operating (CAD & heater controls), is it a good idea to look for the vacuum pump and see if it's OK? Fuse? Broken vacuum line?

Allen (with no direct diesel experience, so just guessing)

Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume that your motor has a mechanical vacuum pump that is gear driven. Does your cruise control work at all? Low or no vacuum would certainly affect that as well.

I would first look for any vacuum lines that may have become disconnected, cracked, or splt. If you are unsure where the vacuum pump is, just find the hard line that passes thru the firewall near the ac and heater hoses. Follow that back towards the drivers side, and somewhere it will probably tee off and run downward as well. Usually somewhere behind the tranny.

Find a vacuum gauge if you can and test the system one section at a time. You can unhook the vacuum lines while the truck is running.

It may also be as simple as a new check valve as well.

There is a 2001 manual available for download somewhere on this site.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:54 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The 01 has a mechanical vacuum pump that is located in front of the power steering pump. Go to this web site. This guy has more info than any other place I have seen on vacuum pumps.

www.fixinrams.com

Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Collinlancaster

have you checked your ignition where your key goes in? sometimes the switch on my 01' will stick and will do the same thing yours is doing.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Fun! 01 Ram 2500