Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Snow Packed Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:46 AM
BlkRam69
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Packed Intake!

Holy ****e!

On the road in Champaign, Il when the snow started to fall. First good snow of the season and I was / am lovin it.Becouse of the storm the whole city pretty much shut down. This also meant that I onlyworked a 1/2 daybefore we called it quits.

So what did I do??

The same thing you would. Fuel up, locked in and had a blast!

After all wassaid and done I hadfinished the day off witha total of 13 cars / trucks pulled from the icy grips of snow banks, plowed over drive ways and drifted parking lots.

Now say what you will but I even pulled a city plow free that had wound up getting floated in a Target parking lot. When I pulled up the guy gave me a look like "whatever" but said give it a shot if you want. Took a few good tugs (more like jerks) but got it freed up. Awesome! [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Now after running through (2'-3' +) drifts all day I noticed a drop in power. At first couldnt put my finger on it but Inoticed the boost was much lower that usual then it dawned on me.

Pulled over and then began busting the ice from my (proguard 7 drop in ) air filter and digging the packed snow out of my air box! There was a hole about the size of a tennis ball that was clear otherwise it was packed.

The question is, what kind of impact will this have and what should I be looking for. I plan on picking up a new filter tomorrow AM as I can only imagine my filter will be a block of ice shortly.

What do you think? New filter and good to go? The air intake after the filter was clean and dry as usual and the power was restored after I cleared it out.

All in all a freakin great day! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-14-2007, 02:58 AM
mopar98
All Star
Default RE: Snow Packed Intake!

Had the same thing happen to me .
I plow snow too.
We got close to a foot here in northernOhio.
Been workin my truck pretty hard and myself ragged too.
About miday I noticed I was blowin a lot of smoke and felt under powered.
I got under hood and found the same thing .
I stopped at the parts store and picked up a replacement filter for mine.
I figure it ain't gonna hurt nothin.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: Snow Packed Intake!

Water woudl be a different story but since it was just snow and ice and wasn't gettin sucked up in just merely causing a blockage I say gets ur self a new filter and let er rip. I wonder what that plwo driver told all his buddies last night. "Yea man dem dang ol cummins diesels aint no joke thass furshurrr"

Quick Reply: Snow Packed Intake!