Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How much will the transmission hold

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 AM
samuk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much will the transmission hold

Purchased a 2500 cummins 2006, starting to prep it with chips etc. Just bought the TST.

How much will the transmission hold before serious damage, no towing, no loading, pretty much cruising most of the time.

tks

Old 02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: How much will the transmission hold

From what others have experienced with the TST, you can't go higher than 3/3 with the auto and 4/4 with the stick.

The auto can only hold up to about 65-70 more HP before it starts having issues.

The clutch on the manual is good to about 800 lb/ft.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:01 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

IF U GET THAT (SORRY TO BUT IN) TC LOCKER, ( 1.WAT DOES IT DO?) WOULD U BE ABLE TO HANDEL A BIT MORE? I KNOW IF U GET THAT TRANS PRESSUER PLATE THING U DEFF COULD. BUT BY HOW MUCH. SOME COMPONIES SAY THEY HANDEL UP TO 25% MORE TORQUE.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:12 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: cookie_monstr

IF U GET THAT (SORRY TO BUT IN) TC LOCKER, ( 1.WAT DOES IT DO?) WOULD U BE ABLE TO HANDEL A BIT MORE? I KNOW IF U GET THAT TRANS PRESSUER PLATE THING U DEFF COULD. BUT BY HOW MUCH. SOME COMPONIES SAY THEY HANDEL UP TO 25% MORE TORQUE.
I'm trying to interpret this...

Are you talking about getting a new torque converter (TC)?

Or are you talking about a new valve body, which increase the pressure and shift point?

Ideally you would want both. Normally, if you get a trans rebuilt from someone like ATS, Suncoast, BD, etc., you are getting the whole shebang.

Some of them add billet pieces (like the input shaft), a 3 or 5 clutch TC, new valve body, stronger bands and planetaries.

A good TC will bring your auto's capabilty from 700 lb/ft or so, up into the 1400 - 1600 lb/ft range.

Then your weak point becomes the input shaft and planetaries.

It's all a balancing act....but, I guess you gotta break it to really justify an upgrade.

Quick Reply: How much will the transmission hold