Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:10 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 questions

im curious.......

1) does anyone know where to get the drain plug valve...so u just turn the thing and the oil dumps out. i know someone put up a post on here about it but i cant find it. can anyone find this post for me? or tell me where i can find a drain plug like this?

2) this boost fooler elbow...what is it? what does it do? where does it go? will it harm anything? whats the power increase? MPG increase/decrease? turbo noise? any extra parts to get?

EDIT:
3) plugging the waste gate...what do you plug it with? where is it located? ...same questions as the boost fooler elbow

thanks guys

Old 02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Hiloram
Professional
Default RE: 3 questions

http://www.genosgarage.com/for the drain plug. Just followed Mayfairs advice and picked up one for myself. As for the rest of the question I will let someone more knowledgeable chime in on that one.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the boost elbow is just a brass 'T' where one end threads into the compressor houseing, another end hooks to the hose that goes to the waste gate, and the other has an allen head screw that you can adjust to bleed off some of the compressed air going tot he waste gate in order to achieve higher boost numbers.

here is a good pic of it, you can find them on ebay

plugging the waste gate is just removeing the physical connection between the actuator and the valve that opens up in the turbine houseing. I would not reccomend this since you will not be able to controll boost numbers very easy through the skinny pedal. . .Ive tried, nearly blew my turbo. the best thing to do is get the boost elbow and get it set to open around 30-35psi.

EDIT: I just found a boost elbow over at TST http://www.tstproducts.com/index.asp...&ProdID=33$25 and your good.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Hiloram

http://www.genosgarage.com/for the drain plug. Just followed Mayfairs advice and picked up one for myself.
You DID ???

Did you install it yet?

I just installed it last night and I can already see that this thing is going to be a dream when it comes time to change the oil. I was going to take pics, but I did it at night and they wouldn't have turned out very well. I can tell you this though, the whole fear of the nipple thing is usless fear. It nipple sits WAY higher than the front rear. No worries at ALL !! HIGHLY reccomended !!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:18 PM
donnie
Professional

Ive seen those in Genos catalogue and cant help but wonder if they might get knocked off some how when offroading?
Or has logic of old man finally seeped in??

Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I guess ifI was a serious off roader,I wouldn't wat ANYTHING hanging down from my engine, but since I'm not, no worries here.

Either way ... the nipple sits WAY higher than the front rear though.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:05 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

at least a boost gauge would be a very wise investment for to go along with the fooler...correct?
drew, how is ur MPG effected with the fooler and what is the power inscrease like?

thanks for the info everyone

Old 02-23-2007, 06:26 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I still perfer nipples on a woman and not on the underside of my engine

Old 02-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Methos
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DBLR

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I still perfer nipples on a woman and not on the underside of my engine
DBLR -- Either way, it's still better that the nipple sits higher than the rear..............

Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have a fooler since my wastegate is electronicly actuated. I use my TST to do boost limit so I dont over spin the turbo and blow it apart.

the only time I had that feature off was when I first put it on and cranked it to 7/7 and put the skinny pedal to the floor. . .I'll put it to you like this. . .that engine and turbo made noises that scared the crap out of me and I thought I unleashed the devil himself under the hood, I look back and all I see is a mixture of black and white smoke. I know I had to be pushing close to 45psi when I let off and barked the turbo.

your overall fuel mileage wont suffer with the elbow, but it will only help you achieve higher boost numbers which will help you have more power on the top end.

Quick Reply: 3 questions