Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Filters are they all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:34 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filters are they all the same?

OK guy I have a question about fuel filters made by whom ever. I noticed that on the outside of the box of the Fleetguard fuel filters that they say they are also water separator, so are the filters we get from Wix, Purolater, NAPA etc also include being a water separator like the Fleetguard filters, yes, no, maybe? I had one palce tell me that all a fuel filter does is filter fuel not water, yet Fleetgurads box will say other wise!

I’ve attached a photo of a Fleetguard fuel filter box.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34275/40FAD2481E4F449084D1911CEE8CB38C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Filters are they all the same?

what makes it a water seperator is the fact the fuel slows down enough to allow any water in the system to fall to the bottom of the filter canister. . .it doesnt truly filter the water, it just slows its progress through the fuel system.

however not all filters are the same. . .some are wound tighter than others, and soon I am planning on installing a 2 micron filter since the HPCR engines are less forgiving when it comes to trash in the fuel. 10 micron is good filtering, however I read where bosche actualy asks for a <5 micron filter to remove the trash so the injectors do not get stuck.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filters are they all the same?