Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

RE48 Transmission Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 AM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE48 Transmission Upgrade

I use the gauges on the Attitude. I like them because I get a real fast look w/ a definite number of what temp things are at, boost numbers, tranny slip, etc. Also, the onlt thing extra that you have to add with the Attitude mount is the EGT probe, that's it. With other 2 or 3 gauge packages, you have to add te EGT probe, the banjo bolt for your boost, the tranny temp probe and tha aux line, etc. The Attitude is already getting these number from the computer. The other thing is, if you do have to bring it in to the dealer for anything, it's all very simple to undo.

The other thing I like about it, is that it has audible and visual alerts if you are coming up on one of your pre-set limits for anything. I have mine set to alarm at 1250* (de-fuels at 1300*), 38 psi of boost (de-fuels at 40 psi), engine temp of220*, tranny temp of 210*, de-fuels if it detects tranny slip, etc. You can program it as safe as you want or you can turn it all off and run.

Some folks like the look of the analog gauges and I do to, but having one spot that has every number, clearly displayed that you could possible want (minus fuel and rail pressure) is nice.

The only thing I am going to do is get a seperate EGT gauge and a single pod (SRT10 Type) so that I can put that on if it does need to go in for something. That way, that only thing anyone sees is an EGT gauge, which is recommended by Cummins anyways.

It's all personal preference I guess. So far I really like the ease of having the numbers right there, no guess work.

I have my Attitude setup like this:
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/E27D51B9110B443A8C7167D4EB28A5CE.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/E3A134C6AB7A41809EB58C61C02FEF98.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-11-2007, 02:59 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE48 Transmission Upgrade

My thoughts are if you want good tranny temps then you need to add a trans temp probe alone with this part: http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG3.asp The Edge, Bully Dog etc. only read a test port on the trans not the fluid going out of the tranny to the cooler.

IMHO, by having the probe in the out line you can back off the go pedel when it starts to heat up and not after heat has already started to build in the trans like it would if you used a test port to read the temps.

IIRC the reading you get from the test port I.E. Edge read out, a pan probe and the line out port can be as much as 50 degrees or more difference. Also the test port and pan probe only give the combined temp of all the fluid in the trans not what the temp is of the fluid coming out of the trans to the cooler.

Quick Reply: RE48 Transmission Upgrade