Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

first post here

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:03 PM
TowRig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first post here

Hello DF,

I went in search of my firsrt CTD purchase about 4 months ago, and searched all over online for forums so I could learn as much as possible before my purchase. One night I came across the DF and ever since I have been reading more and more every day. This is by far the best forum, you all are great, and have been a HUGE help. So please allow me to say THANKS!

So, I pulled the plug and bought an 06 Mega Cab CTD, Auto, with 3.73's, and love it. I use it as a daily driver, and my tow rig. Pulling a one car trailer with this thing is almost a joke, you cant even feel it back there. I really want to get an exhaust system now, and wanted to ask for some help. I have access to Banks systems through a friend at a good deal, but they are still pricey. I have been looking at MBRP, and really seem to like their cat back 4" system. Should I consider the 5" aluminized cat back? I just want something to give it some more sound, and less back pressure. I am not afraid of it being loud, my old daily driver was a 450WHP Subaru, but I dont want to encounter the dreaded cab drone that everyone talks about.

I would love some advice from some people. I would like to purchase a bolt on cat back, so I can just slap it in there and keep my stock system incase I ever want to go back. Also, what programmer would you all recommend for me. I will never drag this truck, just cruise/tow, and dont want to get stuck with a blown 48RE. I plan on doing the in cab gauges (EGT/Trans/Boost). Thanks again for all of your time and help on this guys... I really appreciate it!

-Dave

Old 03-16-2007, 01:35 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: first post here

Welcome to the nut house TowRig!

First congrats on the new ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As for the exhaust, on a stock or mildly tweaked CTD, 4" is more than big enough. Until you start pushing over 500 HP, bigger injectors, twins, etc., you have more that enough flow. You'll actually hurt performance with an exhaust that big.

As for boxes, if you don't want to mod the transmission and such, then stick to one that is 70 hp or less. More than that and you'll need to look at upgrading at least a TC. I have the Edge Juice w/ Attitude. I generally leave it on level 1 for the mileage and occassional bump it to level 3 jumpin on the highway and "maybe" level 4 if I'm on the highway and wanna play. More than that is more than the stock trans is good for.

The Attitude already has the gauges you are looking for and is gonna be about the least intrusive (warranty wise) if you want gauges and a box. It gets all it's readings from the TIPCM, except the EGT that you have to drill and tap the manifold for.

As for the exhaust, if you do not want droning in the cab (this was one of my main concerns too)...eith leave the cat on and do a large flow through muffler or, if you want to get rid of the cat, get 2 muffler inline and it's actually pretty reasonable. Mine is setup with no cat and an Aero 4040XL (resonated muffler) in front of a 36" Diamond Eye flow though and I get very little drone, excpet under 1500 RPM's going up hill. What I did notice with this setup is that my EGT's dropped about 100* at cruising speed and I can now push level 3/5 without bouncing off my EGT limiter.

Enjoy the new ride brother!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one more thing about exhausts. . .I was reading through one of the diesel rags not long ago. . .I think it was diesel power, anyway they did a comparison between cat back and turbo back systems. The best bang for the buck were the cat back that gave sometimes as much as 19more hp, the turbo back only helped with EGT's by removal of the cat.

as far as bumping up the power Rich is useing a good one. I'm running a TST box. thisbox not for the faint of heart especialy when you start turning it up and will break things very quick if not carefull.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:45 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Drew
I'm running a TST box. thisbox not for the faint of heart especialy when you start turning it up and will break things very quick if not carefull.
Which is why Drew needs to QUIT SCREWING AROUND and GET A NEW CLUTCH!!! [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Drew
Professional

he he he. . .yea, Ive got her on 4/3 to save the clutch right now. . .I'm planning on haveing her dyno'd at the end of april. . .wanna join rich. . .theres quite a few others getting together for a meet and greet in warner robins.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Drew

he he he. . .yea, Ive got her on 4/3 to save the clutch right now. . .I'm planning on haveing her dyno'd at the end of april. . .wanna join rich. . .theres quite a few others getting together for a meet and greet in warner robins.
I'll be on leave from 16 Apr to 26 Apr, then I have to go up the Wright-Patterson AFB for a school. But if it's anytime in those dates, I'll roll on up there.

Let me know when, I'd be game for a meet / greet / dyno day.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:16 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Tow Rig, I got the muffler replacement kit in my sig cheap. It doesn't drone, has a nice sound when on it and farily quiet when going easy in the neighborhood. I'm staying away from power adds for now.

Drew, could you PM me with date location and such for the meet and greet / dyno day, I would like to attend.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 PM
cumminalong

Hey Drew, have they decided on a date. It it's the last weekend of the month, I probably won't be able to go. I have to head up to Wright-Patterson AFB about the 25th or 26th. If it's before that, I'm game.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:20 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

Towrig, Welcome!! Don't mind them guys, we get sidetracked pretty regular around here.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:09 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: gtxpooch

Towrig, Welcome!! Don't mind them guys, we get sidetracked pretty regular around here.
We NEVER get side tracked..........we just take alternate routes sometimes. [:-]

It's like being stuck....you're never REALLY stuck.........you just get, well, off of your predetermined time line from point A to point B.

Quick Reply: first post here