Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

help, vibration!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 PM
heffe98579
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, vibration!!

I got a good one for you mechanics out there. 96 dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 ive only had for about 2 months. Occasionally when i am driving the whole truck starts shaking so bad I have to pull over. At first it would only happen once every week or two. Now that it has happened probly 15 times I think I have kind of narrowed down what I am doing that causes it. It has happened at the same on-ramp 2-3 times and at the same turn by my house a couple of times. And they are both fairly hard turns. but i have watched my speed-o and it doesnt start shaking uncontrolablyuntil about 40mph, and it seems to get even works when I apply the brakes to pull over. Im not talking a little vibration, a guy behind me pulled over with me thought I had a blowout or something. I wouldnt say I feel it mostly in the steering wheel as the whole truck shaking left to right. Ive tried accelerating through it a couple of times w/ no luck. Ive tried throwing my truck in nuetral, 1st and 2nd gear(autotrans)4 wheel drive, reverse once I have pulled over for a couple of feet, everything. Once it happens basically I shut the truck off for about five minutes and try again. Today for the first time I MADEit happen when I purposly rolled into a curve by my house kind of fast, like the kind that makes stuff on your dash slide to the other side. And sure enough once i hit 40 mph it started bucking like crazy. pull over same as usual and start driving again. Truck does fine as long as I am under 40 mph, but at 40 bucks again. Also it doesnt matter which way I turn, the almost full circle on ramp and the wide fast turn by my house are different directions(a right turn and a left turn). Truck does fine on the freeway up to 75mph ( as long as I havent turn really sharp kinda fast). Also I have had to brake hard during sudden freeway stops several times and it has nevergiven me any problems. Every single time it has happened is after the kind of long rolling turns that makes stuff in your truck bed slide to the other side, and then it doesnt take effect until 40 mph. My truck has been sitting since I got home about an hour ago, and im sure if I stated it it would go fine. Also I should state for info purposes that I am 99% sure it has nothing to do with the engine, when it happens the engine doesntsound any different. Any clues or know any excorcistsdrop me a line--thx

Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional
Default RE: help, vibration!!

I had the same thing happen to my 98 CTD it turned out to be the ball joints. the first time it happened I thought it was a blow out, I would have the ball joints checked out.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!

your shocks are probably shot, parts of your front sway bar are probably bent, tract arm is probably bent as well. this has been something may people have had and is curable. some have fixed it by adding is as much caster as they could to the front end.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

Same thing years ago.
Ball joints and tie rod end at the streeing gear box cured mine.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:33 PM
cumminalong

Well, for one, it is a characteristic of almost all solid axle 4X trucks.

Secondly, check your tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, ball joints and any excess play in the steering box.

Like Drew said, putting as much caster as possible up front will help.

Does it have a steering stabilizer. This may also be shot. Don't go for a factory replacement either, the aftermarket ones are much better.

Quick Reply: help, vibration!!