Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

HOW F'D AM I??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Stang717
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW F'D AM I??

Ok, Im gonna try to make a looong story short.. Basically, I got my 05' 2500 CTD stuck in a mud/water hole (emphasis on the HOLE part). Only the front right of the vehicle was in deep.. About to the headlight. Air filter was above water, so nothing in the motor.. Thank god.

4 hours later, I was winched out by friend.. The whole time I was in the water, the trans was fine, I just couldnt get traction... As soon as I got out onto level ground, My trans would not engage anymore, any gear..

Towed it home and dropped the trans pan.. milkshake galore.. along with a coating of mud on the bottom of the pan.. Anyways, the filter was clogged, obviously and thus not being able to shift. (this explains why it was fine when the truck was at an angle.. dirt was going into corner)

Changed the filter, and topped off fluid, and truck was back to shifting, however at low rpms, it slips.. full thottle and she grabs nice.. I drove directly to get a trans flush, but they said that the trans pump is not pumping the fluid through the machine, so they cant flush it (not enough pressure). So here is my thought and hope.. Maybe the little bit of driving clogged the filter again?? (theres like 16 qts of fluid, we only changed like 4-5..) so now it cant pull enough fluid up.. The shop guy (not a trans expert) said that my pump is shot and that I may need a new trans/rebuild... Anyway, I gonna have them drop the pan again tomm. and hope to god the filter is just re-clogged.

Any thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance for any input..
Someone told me as soon as water enters the trans, the clutches are shot.. any info on this?

THANKS,
Mike

Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HOW F'D AM I??

Someone told me as soon as water enters the trans, the clutches are shot.. any info on this?
you also need to repack the wheel bearings water got in there as well.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Stang717

Good call Drew.. Ill have them do that as well tomm..
Now is it jsut the fronts that would need to be done? or both...

Mike

Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

Don't forget the front diff.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Stang717

Thankfully, front diff was good, along with rear... Apparantly the breather hoses are a lot longer for the diffs.. the trans, well thats a different story...

Old 03-20-2007, 03:52 AM
unclemike
Veteran

This is one reason why they should have left a drain plug on the torqueconverter. Anyway, be prepared for a major rebuild because that silt is grinding up every bearing and bushing in your transmission.