Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Fluid Change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fluid Change.

ORIGINAL: htgriffith

Well it's about that time to do my first transmission and rear axle fluid change. I'm going to be putting Amsoil in them. Does anyone know a trick to get the fluid out of the torque converter. I have not looked but have read that there is no longer a drain plug on it. If this is true I hate not to be able to get the old ATF out. Short of pulling it off I need to find away to drain it. Maybe I could drill a hole and tap it for a plug.It just drive me crazy to change almost half the volume of fluid and not all of it. It's almost like changing half your engine oil and filter.
IIRC there is no drain plug for the TC. Being you have a 2006 why do you feel the need to flush the whole system that is unless you burnt the fluid? If not then just drop the pan, install the new filter and refill it and be on your way. The only way I would flush out the oil fluid on a 2006 is if you have not serviced it in the last 60-70K. Also do not us a power fluid flush machine as if it is not done correctly it can screw up your trans. FYI, A power flush done on a older trans risk having problems more then a new trans does but it still can happen to newer ones too. I've talked to many people who rebuild them and they all say don't use a flush machine. Also do not adjust the bands unless it is slipping, as it will cause them to wear out faster then normal and yet I see many trans shops do it any way, as it will get them more work later on. My $0.02

Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

You'll either need the big expensive machine or a TON of ATF to flush through yourself and by removing the line coming from the cooler and pouring new ATF in through the fill tube at the same time (sounds like fun, huh).
Since I don't have the machine, that's kind what we were planning on doing.

Define " a ton " of fluid
At a minimum.....twice what it takes to actually fill the thing.

1 - You have to get the old fluid out, while keeping the tranny in a safe range to be able to pump the old fluid until it comes out clear.

2 - You have to fill the tranny after you've done the previous step

3 - You hope that you didn't spill a bunch and need more fluid.

Minimum is twice the amount, more likely 2 1/2 - 3 times.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info all. The drilling part was a joke. I would take it as it is OK to mix the Amsoil with the stock fluid? And the reason I wish to get all the fluid out is,I wont all new fluid in it andALL theold fluid out. As I said its like changing half your engine oil and filter. Plus if I am going threw all the trouble I wont to get it all out. LOL. Oh well I will have to just live with it.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:56 PM
TurboLion

I try to do all the maintance and service work on all my vehicles myself..however, the transmission fluid change works best if you remove all the old fluid. (including the trans. cooler,inner trans valves & passages) its about impossible to do this without a machine that flush's it for you..I take a 2/1/2 gallon jug of amsoil transmission fluid over to the quick lube place..and they will do it for me..for about $40.00, just for the labor,as I supply my own trans fluid.....the flushing gets it all out... = Peace of Mind...

Old 03-25-2007, 02:15 PM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change.