Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Jake Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:40 AM
waltmoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jake Brake Question

I just took delivery of a 2007 3500 RAM 4x4, quad cab short box5.9, automatic and had the dealer installed Dodge/Jacobs brake installed prior to delivery. Info on theCummins web site says "Includes a drilled and tapped port for installation of an optional pyrometer"

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...am_braking.jsp

I looked at the brake and cannot seem to find the port for installingthe pyrometer.Am I blind or is this port hiding somewhere? Does anyone know where this port is located?

250 miles on the truck so far,apleasure to drive....... Why did Iwait so long to purchase a Dodge????

Old 03-24-2007, 12:18 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jake Brake Question

I'll have to go look at mine and see. I understand the best place for the pryo tap is on the manifold pre turbo.Somebody will let us know for sure.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:34 PM
waltmoe

Thanks we will wait to hear from the experts.....

Old 03-24-2007, 02:31 PM
cumminalong

It depends on what you want the pyro to read.

Pre-turbo is telling you what the engine is doing and is what you want for performance, drag racing, sled pulling and towing.

Post-turbo will tell you what your turbo is feeling from the heat soaking. This is also good if you have a turbo timer that reads EGT, as it will shut the truck down when the turbo actually cools off. Again, this is good to have when towing or using an exhaust brake as it tells you what you're doing to the turbo.

Your engine EGT's will drop pretty quick at idle, but post-turbo EGT's will stay slightly elevated until the turbo cools off.

Best of both worlds.............have both.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:16 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I believe the port is in the "elbo" section of the EB housing. It should be a pipe plug. Personally I like the post turbo set up, and when I do mine that's where it will go. The reason is I want to know what temps are there at the turbo. Plus I can see a probe breaking off and getting ingested by the turbo causing what we called in the Navy F.O.D. (Foreign Object Damage). Now don't flame me because it's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Jake Brake Question