Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Rear Diff fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
zerodog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff fluid change

I am going to change out the fluid in the diff this week. Do I need a new gasket? Should I use any gasket goo? And how much fluid do I need? I want to use Amsoil. What is the Amsoil I need?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Rear Diff fluid change

The diff gasket is reusable so take care when you remove the diff cover and clean it and the housing before you put it back on. You do not need any goop on the gasket as it will seal back up with out anything on it.

I used Amsoil 75/90 SVG = Severe Gear oil. It took just over 7 qt’s to do both the front and rear diff. But then I filled them until it ran back out of the plug so it may only take 7 if you fill it 1/4 inch under the fill plug. They do have the new 75/110 if you want a little more protection for when you tow heavy but want better fuel efficiency then what 75/140 gives.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Mayfair
Legend

You didn't mention what year Ram you had, but I just did mine last weekend. I think a stock diff holds 3 quarts. My new diff now holds a little over 4 quarts now.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
zerodog

Mine is an 05'. Should I do the front too? I only have 16,000 on the truck. Is there anything I should look for while in there? My diff cover is loosing its paint. I think the Previous owner got it hot a few times towing.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do both at the same time. . .the rear holds about a gallon and the front a bit more than half a gallon.

also, dont be too concerned about the paint. . .Ive had mine since new and it's chipping off as well. next time I service my axels I'm tempted to take the covers to work, wire wheel the factory paint off and put some of that glossy high temp stuff on. then put a big blue C on the front one

Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 AM
lesimon
Professional

When I changed the differential fluid in my 2005 the local Dodge dealer could not tell me which differential that my truck came with. So I added the the friction modifier for the limited slip Differential, (Track Right), The (Track Lock) differential does not require the additive. I think one of the members posted a thread on how you can tell which differential you have via pictures. If you add the additive and it is not required it will not hurt anything and only cost eight dollars if your not sure.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

lesimom,

IIRC the AAM axels in your truck don’t require you to use a friction additive so you’re only out $8.00. You have a very stupid dealer if he could not tell you what axel you had in your truck. If he did not know him self he could have looked it up for you with the VIN #.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 PM
zerodog

How do I know if I need the friction modifier? I have an 05' 2500 Big Horn.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont need it. all 03's and on have the AAM axels. the Dana's used clutches for the LSD, the AAM's use worm gears.

now, I have heard that some people had a weird howling noise come from their rear axel, they tossed in some friction modifier and the howl went away.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
lesimon
Professional

The Dealer on Vancouver Island ran the VIN# and gave me a print out and it does not identify which rear differnetial that my truck came with. I added the friction modifier just to be safe. After changing the differential oil a member posted pictures of the different LSD and I did not require it. Drew again is probably right, but for you own peace of mind search for the thread. I beleive that cumminalong posted the information.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff fluid change