Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injectors Maybe ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007 | 09:03 PM
NickBeek
|
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Injectors Maybe ???

I don't have the cold start issues. I had them last fall and Lucas cleared them up. My power seems ok and my mileage has been a little off but my air filter guage is in the middle of the stroke. I have towed my camper three times this year already so I don't think I'm carboned up. I stopped by my dealer today for a little quality time with the lead diesel tech. He said, it wouldn't do much good to check it now that it's running ok, but that it would get worse and when it does bring it back and he will replace the culprits. I will find someone with a temp gun and shoot the exhaust manifold to see what it looks like. What is the normal temp and what was the cold temps on your trucks? I am also going camping this weekend. I will work that bad boy hard on my 35 mile trip to the lake. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 03-29-2007 | 11:33 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: SpLaT

Is your unit running rough at idle? Have you noticed a loss of power/fuel mileage? Do you have access to a "raytech" laser temp gun? Shoot the exhaust ports look for a "cold" cylinder. Might be a clogged or bad injector.

I too was driving along at about 30mph when the engine almost died, no giddie up go lasted for a few seconds then truck came back to life. Truck has run ok after but I have had a loss of power/mileage, so I shot each exhaust and found #1 cyl was less then 1/3 the temp as the others. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him truck almost died came back and seemed normal except for power/mileage loss. I had him come over making sure his truck was "hot" and shot his exhaust found #1 and 6 were ice cold compared to middle cyls. He has since taken it to the stealer and they replaced all 6 injectors, Stealer is calling it "runaway"! Mine goes in tomorrow to have injectors replaced as well. Another buddy is having the same issues and he has made an appointment to get his replaced as well! Interesting fact is all 3 of our trucks were manufactured at the same time, possibly a bad run injectors made it through QC!?
Good idea on the temp gun.

Now I'm all pissed off that I didn't think of that.

Does anyone know where I can buy an Ifrared thermometer that will read up to a min. of 2,000*F preferably 2,500*F?

Old 03-30-2007 | 12:59 AM
SpLaT
Captain

I picked one up at the local auto parts store a cheaper version then the one I have in tool box at work. When I shot mine I was getting temps of around 400deg F - shooting on the exhaust manifold out side ambient temp around 10deg F #1 was running about 132deg F. My good gun, hottest I've recorded is about 950deg F just off the turbo on a 3412 cat running on natural gas.

Old 03-30-2007 | 08:28 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: SpLaT

I picked one up at the local auto parts store a cheaper version then the one I have in tool box at work. When I shot mine I was getting temps of around 400deg F - shooting on the exhaust manifold out side ambient temp around 10deg F #1 was running about 132deg F. My good gun, hottest I've recorded is about 950deg F just off the turbo on a 3412 cat running on natural gas.

I have a small foundry setup that I use to make aluminum, brass and bronze castings that I want to use it for also that is why I need the higher temp range.

Old 03-30-2007 | 07:22 PM
NickBeek
|
Record Breaker

Thanks Splat. I will have to find one to use.

Captain, have you looked in the MSC or Travers tools catalogs yet? Or maybe Grainger?

Wierd thing is, ever since it has been purring like a kitten. Maybe even better than before. You guys think I had some crap in an injector or two from new and the heavy dose finally broke it loose?

Old 03-30-2007 | 07:50 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

Thanks Splat. I will have to find one to use.

Captain, have you looked in the MSC or Travers tools catalogs yet? Or maybe Grainger?

Wierd thing is, ever since it has been purring like a kitten. Maybe even better than before. You guys think I had some crap in an injector or two from new and the heavy dose finally broke it loose?
I am leaning more to bad injectors mine does the same thing about 3 times a week puting it under a heavy load clears it up.
It happend a a light twice but most usealy it happens a startup after work.

Old 03-30-2007 | 08:03 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Hey Cap. you gotta keep that #12 hammered down on that CTD to keep it running smooth.After mine warms up I go to 2500rpms before changing gears some times a little higher if theres a ford comin. 91,000 on the clicker and all is well. O, by the way, it slides into gear better with the rpms up.

Old 03-30-2007 | 08:51 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

Hey Cap. you gotta keep that #12 hammered down on that CTD to keep it running smooth.After mine warms up I go to 2500rpms before changing gears some times a little higher if theres a ford comin. 91,000 on the clicker and all is well. O, by the way, it slides into gear better with the rpms up.
Giving it enough fuel to load it up is hard on the rear tires.
When the auto hits 2nd it starts spinning.
Only 3,500 miles on the truck and they are allready showing a lot of wear.

Old 03-31-2007 | 03:32 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

the infrared scan guns run $50 to $100 bucks depending on purchase location.

sears, electrical supply houses, a/c suppliers, maybe home depot, grainger supply (nation wide), and more carry em. hell wally world may have em off and on .

just make sure to check its specs before purchase. you wanna know its scan patter, % loss at ?ft, and max temp.

Quick Reply: Injectors Maybe ???