Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Remote starter for diesel truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Remote starter for diesel truck

Most of the DEI products are modular (they make Viper as well as many others), I wonder if you guys with the older Vipers would be able to buy a newer remote start module from DEI that supports waiting for the glow plugs? I know the newer Viper alarms support it, I had a Viper 5900SST with remote start installed on my Dakota as a Christmas present and I remember reading in the manual that on a diesel it is programmed to wait for the dash light to go out before it cranks the engine so they definitely have it for some.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any one get a little engine light when using auto start on a 3rd gen? no code just the picture of the motor on the top left of the dash?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 AM
aaa

I asked my friend abaut this remote starter and I had no chance to finish my question he said YOU DO NOT WANT IT !!!
he installs security and other electronics to the cars ower 15 years now.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
bozinw

Thanks everyone for the comments. Speakle, I did the test on the wire as you stated and the wire does go hot (12V) after the wait to start light goes off so I am pretty sure I have the right one. I am going to continue with this installation as I have a hard head and have to go to the inth degree before giving up. Will let you all know how it turns out. This was originally instaled not only for the remote start but also for the door locks, as I have no factory remote for the truck, adding this in for the keyless entry was the main reason, the remote start was just a bonus. Also, I live in Northwest Washington, except for the current weather, we never really have to worry about sub temps.

More to follow.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 AM
bozinw

So now that I have asked and received good responses about the remote start, I need some advice on after market air filters. I am leaning towards the AFE however I am open for comments. Enclosed or open, what types work better and what is good / bad for the turbo. I need to add a signature for what im driving, so for now, it is a plain Jane 99 ram, cummins. I have a new injector pump (the hard way) BD in tank fuel pump - from when the injector pump went - Rebuilt tranni a BD two piece Exaust mainfold, going to change the exaust eventually as well.

I drive the truck daily and also have a 5th wheel that we use quite a bit, I want to mods done for better fuel economy but more so for pulling hte trailer.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Well boz .... first off I'd do something about that in tank lift pump. Perhaps something like Cowboy did with his setup.

As far as your intake goes, I havea K&N right now, however if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with a BHAF. It seems like everyone who has one likes them and is happy with it. The Amsoil one sounds promising too, however I'm a little nervous about a fliter that you clean by blowing air through it.

Here's my K&N ...

Name:  HeaterplugandBlowbytubemods5-5-0701.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  117.7 KB

Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Ben D.
Champion

if it's a viper made alarm it should have a delay built in. it's part of the programming. when we do remstarts on diesel vehicles we let them sit outside for a few hours then time the wait to start light and depending on how cold it is at the moment we usually double that time or triple it.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Even if it's an older Viper?

Mine was probably installed back in 98

Old 01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I would believe so, it's not a very complicated deal like it's jsut a timer that is built int hat you can set to different amounts basically it lets the remstart activiate ignition and accessory but not sarter for the time being then starts. check the manual for the remote start it should have something in there about it.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 PM
speakle
All Star

I would also be sure to diode isolate whatever wire you tap into the truck with, these trucks will throw codes, or lights will come on or some may not work.

Quick Reply: Remote starter for diesel truck