Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Broken Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Mirror

My passanger side mirror glass is cracked. The big part, not the small mirrors.Does anyone have an idea of where i can get a replacement glass from? I can just pop out the old and in the new right? I dont need to take it to the dealer do i?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:09 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Broken Mirror

you could do a search for OEM aftermarket parts. There's a couple companies out there that sell aftermarket OEM parts. They aren't really OEM but, made with that in mind. They don't have the quality OEM would either. A junk yard might be a place to look also.

My guess is that you won't be able to just replace the glass but, will need the whole mirror. If you go to the dealer.... that's all you'll get.

good luck!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Maybe a glass / mirror shop could cut you one out?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Ok, well I will have to make a run down to the dealer next time I am around it.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:10 AM
jakebrake
Champion

NAFC! Never had a broken mirror but I hope it just pops out, let us know.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 AM
usafr
All Star

Theres a nation auto parrts dealer here that I know called Auto Tech. These guys are basiclly a junk yard but are hooked up nation wide and can pretty much locate anything you may be looking for, you may wanna try them, it might save u some money. It's Auto Tech of Pineville Louisiana.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

The mirror is held in place with epoxy. If you're good with a heat gun, heat the mirror from the outside, and use a putty knife to gentlypry itfrom it's mounting bracket.

Any glass shop can cut that mirror in 2 seconds. They have templates for all vehicles. Should be about $20.00. No more than that.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Thanks demon. There is a glass shop about 5 min from my house so I will have to stop by.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
racevoodoo

My local auto glass shop ordered just the glass for me. The dealer will not sell just the glass. They will rip you for an entire mirror assembly! The glass guy scraped the old stuff off and cleaned it all up with what looked like brake cleaner. Then he glued it in with black RTV. It is there forever. My other side mirror got loose, so I pulled it off and used brake cleaner and RTV to put it back on and it is still there. I think the glass itself was about $20.

Take care

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
thejohnny
Rookie

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

My passanger side mirror glass is cracked. The big part, not the small mirrors.Does anyone have an idea of where i can get a replacement glass from? I can just pop out the old and in the new right? I dont need to take it to the dealer do i?

Since noone really answered this I will for future users that are looking for answers. I broke my pass glass and had to go through this. My mirror was heated and power so the first thing you have to do is adjust the mirror all the way to one direction so you can see the two wires that are behind that need to be unplugged from the mirror before you try to just yank it off.

(( ** You don't have to do this next step if you can get the glass off a different way **))
Then, once you have the wires off there is a little piece that sort of acts like a stop that you have to depress and then pull the glass in that direction. I'm sorry if this is confusing but if you look behind the glass near where the wires are you can see the little piece that had to be depressed and then you have to pull hard to slide it off.

Well, once you have it off, the fun part starts, you have to break the glass and do your best to get it off. The factory uses a ton of double sided 3M on this sucker but with a little patience it will all come off of there.

Then, install is a breeze, put the supplied tape that came with the glass on thie mirror and then stick to the plastic backing.

Now you have to reinstall. I plugged in the wires for the heated mirror first then I aligned the little tabs where they belonged and then slid the mirror right into place.

1. Broken Mirror - Frurstrating as hell.
2. Not finding anything and thinking I would have to pay some serious cash - Boiling Point
3. Finding that www.fastglassinc.com has replacement glass - $30 and a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Broken Mirror