Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 12:30 PM
FiveNine Motorsports
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins ticking noise

Howdy yall Ive got a 2006 2500 5.9 Cummins / G56. Ive only had it for a few months now and ive been hearing this ticking noise on start up. Ive tried researching everywhere but none of the sounds match mine.

Current mileage 190k - purchased at 184k. Previous owner had aftermarket reman injectors (i know these are a big no no), banks big air kit, banks econotuner and some other odds and ends done about 175k.

I am assuming it is injector TICK as it sounds electrical and seems like its coming from the valve train area but i cant confirm location. The sound happens uppon start up almost every time, more frequent when cold and still sometimes on a hot engine. The tick happens at idle and when i use the skinny pedal in the slightest bit the tick goes away.

Sometimes if the tick is really bad, with slight throttle the sound will increase with the rpm. It will usually go away after a few minutes of driving or 10 mins of idle to let it warm up. I will attach a google drive link with a video of the sound.

Thanks in advance for any help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10-YKd_qNEA81XmxREHo_hcnJO0Ee9k-6/view?usp=drivesdk

Quick Reply: Cummins ticking noise