Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil / break in question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
aka_chewy
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil / break in question

As you can see by another post, I'm taking a road trip in the truck and towing my parents jetta down to Fayetteville NC. Now, I bought my truck with 19,600 miles on it and at 30,000, I changed to Amsoil. Now, I highly doubt the guy before me did any sort of real pulling to assist with the break in. My question is: would it behoove me to switch to a Dino oil for this trip? It's going to be 1265 miles of pulling the car and 3000 miles round trip. I need an oil change anyways and was just wondering if there's any more "break in" left

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Oil / break in question

Chew, Id run the dog crap out of that thing with whatever oil you choose. Keep the rpm's tight and let er rip. Your ok on the engine break in period. Have a safe trip and enjoy. Swing down to SC if you get a chance.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I don't think changing to dino is "needed". Just use whatever oil you feel comfy with and let her roll. BTW after extended periods of highway driving while towing, don't forget to idle herdown for 3-5 minutes before you shut her off. Have good and safe trip.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Chewy you are towing a JETTA !! That is the equivalent to having a load of mulch in your bed. Don't sweat it. Run it with the Amsoil.

Quick Reply: Oil / break in question